1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sell my Canon lenses and buy adapter and Sony mount (third party) lenses instead?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Dstanic, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Dstanic

Dstanic New to TalkEmount

Aug 15, 2014
    Hi everyone!

I've been a Canon shooter for quite a while but have fallen in love with my new NEX 3n because of its size and IQ. I bought the kit with the 16-50 and 55-210. I have the following Canon lenses: 80 1.8, 70-200f4L, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Sigma 50mm 1.4 and Tamron 17-35. Basically I like this setup with my FF 5D but I would like to get APS-C lenses such as the Sigma 10-20, 30 1.4 etc (which I could also use on my 30D). Would I be better off getting the Sony adapter and buying these third party brands in Sony mount, or would I get acceptable AF performance with Canon mount and the metabones adapter? I'm a big fan of third party brands because they are great value. I will be selling some of the Canon lenses which are either expensive or I don't use often. I might just keep the primes to use with the 5D if I decide to go the Sony route.

2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Welcome to the talkemount.

The af with metabones is slow and only works with Canon lenses, no third party lenses. So maybe it is better to sell and do the switch unless you want to use them as manual focus lenses which is also very easy. Also Sigma E 19mm, 30mm and 60mm lenses are cheap and carry good value if you want to go with prime set up.

3. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I switched from T3i and 85/1.8, Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS, and Tamron 70-300 VC.

The only way to get a fast normal zoom is to get a La-EA2 adapter, and Tamron 17-50/2.8 or 28-75/2.8 in Sony A-mount. No stabilization but you don't have it anyway. The focusing is fast, accurate and noisy.

No equivalent to 85/1.8 that I can think of. Sony 85/2.8 is nice but slower aperture and way slower focusing. And the bokeh probably not on par. IMHO 85/1.8 was a unique lens even in Canon lineup, easily beating much more expensive ones. Sony 50/1.8 is nice, although not that nice.

Sony does have a 70-200/4 G in E mount that may or may not be equivalent in IQ to 70-200/4L. It's certainly large, expensive, and with nice IQ.

You may find that you are willing to give up some range and maybe even IQ or speed for portability, though.

4. Dstanic

Dstanic New to TalkEmount

Aug 15, 2014
    Does Sigma or Tamron have a stabilized version of 17-50 range lens for a-mount? I'm thinking maybe I'll just stick with some e-mount lenses such as the 35 1.8 OSS or Sigma 60 2.8. For an ultra wide I could maybe get a cheap Canon EOS adapter without AF since I usually focus at infinity anyway.

5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    No, they removed stabilization for A mount because all Sony SLT bodies have IBIS.