1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sell A7 for A6300 kit?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by JonathanF2, Jun 10, 2016.

1. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I'm thinking of selling my A7 for an A6300. I recently picked up an A7II and I'm using the Commlite AF Nikon Sony E adapter with it and Nikon f/1.8 prime lenses. I was thinking of getting the A6300 in order to have a second body that can use PDAF focusing with adapters, the APS-C sensor for additional crop resolution and the silent shutter for street shooting. Though I'll lose out having a second body with an FF sensor, but gain on handling specs. What do guys/gals think? Opinions welcomed!

2. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Makes sense to me. :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Same here, since you already have an A7-II :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    I use both interchangeably... perfect combo IMHO.

Also, just a thought. I kept my A6000 for my sons' sporting events. Not because it is faster or better in any way (though I love it), but to save the few hundred exposures per weekend from the other two cameras. I say that only because as a THIRD body, and relatively cheap these days, the A6000 is paying for itself in wear and tear on the other two more expensive bodies when the infinitesimal difference in images under those conditions would go unnoticed and unappreciated. Your A7 may have more value than you realize IF you can swing keeping it and still adding the A6300, though your cost differential isn't as great with the A7 being worth much more than a used A6000.

5. JonathanF2

JonathanF2 TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 16, 2014
    I played with the A6300 this week and it's a real nice camera. Feels very refined. I still have my M43 kit, which I might sell to fund my Sony kit. So if I do go that route, I may keep the A7 after all! ;)

6. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    I have been using a Olympus OM-D EM-10 for a couple of years, along with the Panasonic 14-42 kit lens which I think is better than the Olympus kit lens. It takes great pictures, its easy to use and it has a very good lens base to support the system. Having owned a Sony A57 and A37, both sold now (and I wished I hadn't) got me interested in returning to Sony because they were so easy to use but staying with APS-C format in a smaller body, so I purchased a A6000 body and use my old A mount lenses via a Sony adaptor. The Olympus is a great camera, but the Sony A6000 is better in many areas (the A6300 is even better apparently). The only fly in the ointment is the Sony NEX E mount lenses, there is a poor choice and at the kit lens end they can't hold a candle to the Panny and Olympus lenses. Not every one can afford the high end Sony/Zeiss zooms or primes, but even there some models could be better. Sony need to address their poor NEX E mount range and improve the performance to keep up with the sensor.
    I decided to use mainly affordable primes such as Sigma and Samyang on my A6000 to do the sensor justice. So yes, I think you have made a good choice but only if you are prepared to spend on the higher end lenses

7. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I have the NEX-7 and the A7. I do occasionally enjoy the smaller camera for its physical handling qualities.
    I probably won't sell either, though. Both are worth more to me as backup / second shooter than I could ever get in trade.
    I would love to try the 6300 for it's improved controls/AF/ISO but at least for me it is a bit awkward - an updated A7 is without question the greater priority and I don't think there'll be $1000 left over.

8. Chris Munden

Chris Munden TalkEmount Regular

May 13, 2016
    Peter Bower
    Sony really messed up by not fitting IBIS in the NEX series and later E mount cameras, the lenses would be easier to produce and possibly better performers, it also might have encouraged more 3rd party lens makers.

9. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    IBIS was no available back in the early days of the NEX platform and thankfully Sony gave us in lens stabilization.

Will Sony adapt IBIS into later bodies? No idea.

Sent from my SM-N920P using TalkEmount app

10. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Funny thing is I grabbed the SEL5018F when it came out last month. Like the size, and wanted some full frame speed. Put it on the A6300, just for fun, and it LOOKS and FEELS great, but there is no stabilization. No lens IS, no body IS. The number of shots in focus in low light went way down for me, but I'm old and not as steady as in the good-old-days. Gimme an A6400 or A7000 with IBIS and I'd love THAT! Yes, I have the SEL5018, but don't we want ALL of our lenses and cameras to get ALL the features?! Of course we do!

11. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I agree. I have the A7Rii and an A6000 combo mainly to have the extra shooting speed when needed. I considered the A7 for the better high ISO as my second body but since I use two Tamron lenses which wont AF with the A7 (nor with the A6000) I decided to keep what I have for now. If I could find an A7ii or A6300 then I would get those as my second body. Likely the A6300 because of the extra shooting speed and silent mode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do not know much about it but from discussions I have read, space and heat are a problem when trying to fit IBIS on APS-C bodies like the A6300. So it is anybody's guess whether it will ever become a reality for APS-C.

13. soeren

soeren TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 12, 2014
    N├Žstved, Denmark
    Soeren
    Are you talking focus problems or motion blur?
    IBIS won't cure the former.

14. SRHEdD

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Def. old guy shaky hands.

It focuses just fine regardless of what most posters seems to say. It certainly isn't my fastest focusing lens, but it works just fine in real use.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 14, 2016
    Aberdeen, Scotland
    Paul
    I have the A6000 as a second body to backup the A7R2, its ideal, they even use the same battery and the A6000 can be used with the 70-200 giving an equiv 300mm @ 24Mp.
    I also enjoy taking the A6000 out with either the kit lens where it can be carried in a jacket pocket, or with 3 primes (12, 28, 55) in my Crumpler shoulder bag.
    I absolutely recommend getting the the A6300 to use alongside the A7R.

Paul

• Like Like x 1