Sel55210

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by twinwood, Sep 16, 2011.

1. twinwood

twinwood New to TalkEmount

Sep 6, 2011
    The 55-210mm E-mount lens is not for sale yet, but I saw it displayed at a local Best Buy store this week. With its silver and black half-metal construction, it looks rather handsome.

It looks smaller than I envisioned it. It is less than 1/4" longer than the equivalent Samsung NX 50-200mm zoom; but about 1/4" smaller in diameter; and about 70g lighter.

The decision to go for smaller diameter (and the same 49mm filter size as other E-mount lenses) is probably the reason the aperture range of 4.5 - 6.3 being 1/3 stop smaller than the typical of 4 - 5.6. But it does make the lens appear slimmer.

2. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    If you listen to all the anti-NEX people in various photography forums (who are often owners of m4/3 cameras ... and I can say that because I am also a m4/3 camera owner) then you would think all the Sony NEX lenses are MASSIVE!!!

In reality, they Sony NEX lenses are some of the smallest lenses for APS-C image sensors. The reason the Sony lenses look large in product shots is because the NEX cameras are very small (smaller than "most" m4/3 cameras) so the lenses look unusually large in comparison to the tiny camera body ... but they are NOT huge lenses.

I am on the fence about the new 55-210mm lens. It's the only native telephoto zoom (other than the 18-200mm) but it's aperture range is too slow it my opinion. I would love for Sony to make a 70-200mm f/2.8 (or even a f/2.8-3.5 lens similar to the Olympus 50-200mm 2.8-3.5). Unfortunately, I suspect most NEX owners would complain that such a lens would be too big.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I too am very interested in this lens. A good price and great option, too bad it does not go any lower f4.5.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.