SEL55210

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by slothead, Mar 18, 2015.

1. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I was in Best Buy today and saw that this store had an "open box" 55-210 E-Mount. They said they wanted $244 for it! I have a new one coming from B&H but now I am thinking about sending B&H's back and getting the Best Buy open box (it will save me $100 smackers!).

Opinion?

2. riskinstrument

riskinstrument TalkEmount Regular

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    I had a best buy employ at one store that there were no open box lenses as they were all sent back to the manufacturer.

3. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Maybe store policy dictates what they do. This one (I was told) was inspected and tested (by store employees I assume), but the salesperson couldn't tell me for sure why it was returned.

4. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    That's what they said about my open box a6000 as far as being tested by store employees.

5. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Interesting... I would consider a lens for "open box" acquisition, but I don't think I would consider a camera (the less complex and intricate - the better, for "open box").

6. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    Lenses are complex. As to the camera I made sure I had at least a month to return, no question asked.

7. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    Full warranty? Is there a return policy for the open box (even a couple of days)?

As log as I have the warranty, I'd save the hundred bucks.

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I have bought quite a few things from BB as open box with no issues at all. My current TV and car speakers cone to mind.

Most come with the original store warranty, so even if there is an issue, they should take it back.

Just a hint though, Ebay and Amazon often have this lens for $175ish.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  9. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    I got my SEL55210 from Best Buy as an open box for about $210 just about this time last year. No complaints.

10. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Interesting - that means that BB has cranked up their Open Box prices by about 15%! (Or this piece looks better to them.)

11. riskinstrument

Nov 20, 2014
    Dallas, Texas.
    As you noted earlier, policies and apparently prices seem to vary between stores at BB.

12. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Yeah, I'm sure there is some room for wiggle. But I am surprised they are not more strict on how these things are priced between stores.

13. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Having worked in retail I know that Open Box pricing is very much up to the store or department manager and also depends on the condition and return circumstances of the specific item. At my local BB, they initially priced the SEL55210 open box item at around $290, then $250 and finally $210 at which point I jumped on it.

14. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Cool,
    Is there any way to predict the price drops?

15. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Unfortunately not. I just kept stopping by the store and checking the price on the item every few days for a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount

16. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    Not predict, but stay in the loop from home ... Best Buy's website lists open box merchandise by store. From their main page choose "Deals", then "Best Buy Outlet", then "Shop open box online, pick up in store". here you can drill down by location and product type/keyword. I believe quite a few forum members got great deals this way on the NEX-6 near the end of its life cycle when they sold many at a fantastic price.

17. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Hey rdfisch, thanks for that tip! I just went and looked at the site and the lens is not there. They either sold it already (which I doubt in 3-4 days) or it hasn't made it onto their store list (how long does that take?).

I did see something that got my attention: there was a NP-FW50 battery there and their asking price was $64 (MSRP is $80 according to BB). Considering the risk that a person would buy a new battery and return an old one in its place (would somebody really do that? I can see that it could be tempting - even accidental) is too much of a risk to pay that much for it.

18. rdfisch

rdfisch TalkEmount Regular

Nov 13, 2013
    Northern NJ
    Rick
    The pages seem to get updated daily (at least in my neck of the woods NYC Tri-State), but I don't know if there is a processing delay.

I agree that the discount isn't big enough on the battery. if your going to spring for genuine Sony, might as well get a new/fresh battery.

BB open box prices seem to be all over the lot, but when they are fair stuff moves quick. If you are in a busy area, it wouldn't surprise me if the 55210 sold.

Getting even further OT, but as long as we're there, I'll let you know I've ordered a couple of pair of Le Hook ... thanks for the lead.

19. Kirkp

Kirkp TalkEmount Regular

Nov 2, 2014
    Sometimes you can find factory refurbished SEL55210 lenses with full Sony warranty for $229. I found one at Beach Camera a few months ago.

Abe's of Maine has a "factory fresh import model" for $179. That might be their term for "gray market", which might mean no Sony USA waranty.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  20. slothead

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I ended up buying the 18-200 (SEL18200LE for considerably more money) and am very happy with it.

Here's an interesting example at full tele (200mm) and cropped to about 60%. This Osprey was hovering in the western Caribbean trade's and dove below my elevation by the time I cold fetch my camera.

DSC00061a1_zps7fv82rzq.