1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL55210 vs. Sigma 60mm f/2.8 shootout

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WoodWorks, Sep 30, 2013.

1. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Can you tell that I have nothing better to do today? Anyway, like the previous test, I went out and shot a comparison between the SEL55210 telezoom and the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 prime. I set up the NEX-6 using a 2-sec. timer on a tripod, ISO 100, Daylight WB, raw files, processed in Lightroom 4 with the built-in lens profile for the SEL55210 (The Sigma doesn't have one, nor needs one, IMO). I zoomed the SEL5510 to ~60mm (which made the aperture f/4.5 wide open), and tested them at f/4.5, f/5.6, and f/8, and added the f/2.8 aperture to the Sigma because I was curious.

This is the scene:

Long.

And here are the 100% crops of the center, upper right, and lower left (you'll have to click the image to get the full-size version):

5530C.

5530MC.

• Like Like x 5
  2. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    You are on a roll:) Zoom wasn't that bad against a very sharp prime, until I saw the low corner.

• Like Like x 1
  3. e2l

e2l TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 2, 2013
    Well a prime should always outshine a zoom. Especially a zoom that spans such a focal length as the 55-210. Also factoring the cost of the lens.... It's cheap. I have to question the accuracy of the testing though as those reed/water shots have some sort of camera shake or movement going on in them. I appreciate your testing. Thoughts on the reed/water shots?

Bill Raab
    http://exposedtolight.com
    Sent using TalkNEX mobile app

4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks for these comparisons. I think they might be useful to those of us looking to grow our lens collection at some point. I've been wondering what to get next, after the kit SEL1855 that came with my A3000. Tempted by the SEL55210 and the desire for a decent telephoto zoom. Also have read a LOT of very good things about the Sigma 60mm f/2.8 and 30mm f/2.8.

I need to try adapting a couple on-hand legacy lens first, but those three I listed are currently my front runners for first new lens.

5. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Not really. OSS was off, and as I said, the camera was set on a (fairly sturdy) tripod with a 2-sec. timer. So I can't think of any obvious flaws in the test.

6. e2l

e2l TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 2, 2013
  7. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I don't know, Bill. My takeaway from both of the dumb tests I did yesterday is that the "cheap" zooms stack up surprisingly well, at least until you start to go pixel peeping around the edges. Yes, at 100%, the difference is obvious. But when viewed at web size, I don't think I'd even notice unless the image itself was so uninteresting that I'd start looking at the corners. But then, I can count the times I've printed anything above letter-sized on one hand. Others may have higher standards than I do. :rolleyes:

8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Two totally different lenses, but still a fun comparison.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Nice test again. I never did a side-by-side comparison of my samples, but I'd guess that my SEL-55210 is maybe a little bit better than yours and my Sigma 60/2.8 is also razor sharp. BTW, Lightroom 5.2 offers a profile for the Sigma 60/2.8, removing the slight pincushion distortion.

10. WoodWorks

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Thanks for the heads-up, Ad. It so happens that I finally broke down and ordered the LR update yesterday, so that's good news. But I have to say, of all the lenses I now own, I think the Sigma 60 is least in need of correction. What I'm really looking forward to is the new cloning/healing tool. I may never have to open Photoshop again. :)

11. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I agree, the Sigma 60/2.8 doesn't really need correction, the lack of a profile never really bothered me before. And this new cloning/healing tool is great indeed, and much to my own surprise I also like the radial filter. And the perspective correction feature, another great addition.