1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL55210.. reduced prices(?)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 22, 2013.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Dear all,
    I had a look on the internet and it looks like that the SEL55210 has its price reduced. I am able to find the lens around 200 euros/170uk pounds/263us dollars.

I think this is quite reduced price much close to my reach and I have some questions to ask to the owners

1) I have read many times here people arguing if the Autofocus is too slow or too bad (never heard a good word :p). If I am not using it how easy would be to manual focus on the highest focal lengths (over 150)?

2) What is the minimum aperture at 55, 100,210 focal lengths?

3) If you have this lens what would be the reason to have for example an adapted MD 50-105mm lens? Would you keep both or sell the adapted zoom you have? I guess that the SEL 55210 is also quite compact if the size was a concern.

I would like to thank you in advance for you help
    Regards
    Alex

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    If you ask 100 different people about autofocus on NEX lenses, you'll get 100 different answers. My answer? It's plenty fast enough for me, but it sure wasn't in low light at 210mm before I updated the firmware to v.02. I'm using it on a NEX-6. I have no idea how well it will work on your NEX, nor if there will be any significant difference.

Manual focusing would probably be easier on this lens vs. a legacy lens because the OSS would help to stabilize the image.

f/4.5, f5.6, f/6.3

Again, 100 different answers, depending on how you like to shoot. I probably would sell the Minolta, because I'd probably never use it again.

3. Jaf-Photo

Jaf-Photo TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 25, 2013
    It's not a stellar lens but for 200 euros, it's a no-brainer to me. Good enough.

4. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I wanted to sell it several times, but I have repented, is a good lens for the price paid and is the only zoom I have so far, but use very little I bought it mainly to shoot wildlife.

The OSS works great, I have no complaint though is a bit slow and in low light conditions is a bit silly. When you have a good light is a good competitor.

-I usually use the 28mm and 50mm for Street Photography, so one afternoon I took the 55-210mm to keep the distance between the subject and me, after that I decided to keep it.

8092451245_88d2014b54_c.
    Untitled by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8098548235_90175e2db3_c.
    Apache of 42 by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

8098745484_252f7fc3c7_c.
    Drinking coffee, just like old times by Freddytto Robles, on Flickr

5. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I like the lens. In good light the AF is fine. Really, the only other choices in E-mount are the 18-200 lenses but they are much more expensive.

As with Freddy, I don't really use it much as I prefer a more 'standard' focal length, but I find it quite good when I do,

DSC02774-1200x1200.

6. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Thanks I will order this lens soon. and what would you do with the adapted zoom lenses you have so far? Throw them out? Just curious on how the adapted zoom lenses compare with the newly produces lenses

7. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    This lens can be found around $200 used. There are rumors it's going to be updated, but you know how reliable these rumors are...

8. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    If I'm walking around especially with no tripod, I'll carry the 55-210 most of the time due to weight and OSS but I still use the adapted zoom I have. The different lenses have different characters and manual lenses are often more fun to use. I also have the SEL 35 and Nokton 40. While the focal length is pretty close, use and result can be very different.

I have several pairs of jeans all in the same size too.

9. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    I probably won't give up on my legacy lenses, notably the Minolta MC 50/1.4, MD 85/2, 135/2.8 and zoom 50-135/3.5. All these are optically better in the corners than the SEL-55210, especially the primes. I also have a Sigma 60/2.8 which is in a totally different image quality league compared to the Sony. The SEL-55210 will be used when I want the convenience of autofocus and OIS, mainly for family snaps I expect.

10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Here in The Netherlands it's a different story: people pay crazy prices for a second-hand one, like € 250 or more! I bought mine from Amazon UK last week for € 250 new.

11. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    Mine arrived yesterday, an Ex kit lens, unused (almost, I guess) but second hand - looked new. £170 off Amazon.co.uk, but yes, second hand prices are crazy.

Very happy with it in daylight, only use so far. I like the integration of facilities with designed for NEX lenses like OSS.

Focusing speed was fine in daylight, manual focusing with the magnifier was fine. Weight, size all great.

IQ was Ok, Excellent in some circumstances, acceptable in others.
    Can't see me using it much, but it fits, what for me is the ethos of NEX, small light and easy.

Jeff

12. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    'Hi here I meant the adapted zoom lenses. So lets say that you have the MD 50-135mm and you get as gift the SEL55210 what would be the reasons to keep the MD 50-135mm? Is it better optically an older lens? Do not you want to have OSS? That is the kind of reasoning I try to get here.

Regards
    Alex

13. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    The reasons to keep the adapted lens could be a different character to your shots. A different feel to shooting. Even the fun of using manual. It's not really the same manually focusing the SEL lenses as the are focus by wire.

14. ChangshaNotes

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    The over lapping lenses may have different strengths and weakness too.

15. alaios

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    That I understand.. are the Minoltas MD 35-70,28-85 better optical to the SEL55210 (for the common focal lengths)?

Regards
    A