1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL55210 issue

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Peeam, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Peeam

Peeam TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    I purchased the Sony SEL55210 in used condition to be used with Nex 3N. When I attach the lens to camera and try to use the zoom lever on the camera, I get the this message:"!RAW/RAW+J. Invalid with this image quality setting. Available if not RAW or RAW & JPEG image quality[/B]" and the zoom lever does not work. If I change the image setting to JPEG, lens behaves normally and I can use the zoom lever. I am trying to find out if this a real limitation of this lens or there is a fault in the lens.
    Thanks for your help.
    PeeAm

2. Peeam

Peeam TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    Adding the photo of the error message.

Attached Files:

3. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    This is because the 55210 is a mechanical zoom. Therefore you cannot use the zoom lever to change focal length. You must use the zoom ring. Now if you shoot JPEG only and you have Clear image zoom or digital zoom enabled, the zoom lever will fake zooming. However, if you have Raw or Raw + JPEG set in image quality then the zoom lever is not available.

• Like Like x 3
  4. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    As stated - TURN OFF digital/clear zoom!!! You should only be using the zoom ability of the lens (by turing the zoom ring), using the on camera zoom will only degrade the quality the more you zoom in!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Peeam

Peeam TalkEmount Rookie

Jan 28, 2014
    Thanks a lot WestOkid and Jose De Bardi. I had not realized that this lens was a manual zoom. Your advice about turning off digital zoom is spot on.
    kind regards
    PeeAm

6. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Wow! Thanks for that. I am supposed to have one on the way and I assumed that it was a PZ lens! It will be going back for something else!

7. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Browsed through your smugmug gallery. Some great landscape shots there, really worth a look!

8. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    Thanks Ad. I appreciate the kudos.