1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL50F18 vs legacy 50mm. Looking for some comparison images please

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by shaolin95, Aug 29, 2013.

1. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Hi!
    I have seen some nice comparisons of 50mm lenses and in my mind I thought they were supposed to be sharper than the SEL50 but lacking the added features of the SEL50. Well now I read some comments that the SEL50 is sharper center, corners, etc so is a matter of just being more expensive but also better than legacy ones.
    I have a Pentax A SMC 50mm 1.7 and have been wondering about getting the SEL50.
    Anyone has seen comparison images?

Thanks!

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I can't post any comparison images as my F3 has no AF anymore. I have Minolta MD 50/1.7 and I would say SEL50F1.8 is at least every bit as sharp stopped down, sharper wide open. Ironically though I still used MD more often, first it's got its own unique character, second it's easier to MF, finally it's much more portable and easy to throw in your bag or pocket just in case without worrying about damaging a $300 lens. (I mainly shoot manual glass so I have adapter already on the camera). But Sony has it's own character too, especially in artificial lighting. It's a great lens in it's own right, even before you count OSS. About the only problem with it is the slow AF, especially in low light, not a problem for a portrait lens but it's not really suitable for tracking moving objects in dim light.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

3. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    Thanks and the point about manual focus is a good one as I normally want to go manual with the 50 so that is one thing to consider indeed. :)

4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    You can still MF with Sony lens. It's just easier to do with older lenses specifically designed for it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

5. shaolin95

Jul 3, 2013
    yeah I have noticed that my SEL35 is not as fun to MF as when using all my other legacy lenses. :) not even close :D