1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL35F18 vs. Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Pirzu, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Pirzu

Pirzu New to TalkEmount

Dec 22, 2015
    Lukas
    Hello,

Firstly I want to tell you that I read many threads about this two lenses, also, the thread with comparison this two lenses.

I am YouTuber and I record reviews of smartphones. Problem is that I wanted to buy 18-35 with 1.8 but there is no such lense for e-mount, so I decided for search prime lense.

I found SEL35F18 and Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN. And I do not know which one will be better for me.
    Slower focus in Sigma will have any influence in recording such review in which I do not make rapid shots?
    Also I think that better bokeh will be better for me.. Am I sure that Sony will have much better bokeh?

Which one should I choose in your opinion?
    I am user of Sony a6000.

2. Nexnut

Nexnut TalkEmount Top Veteran

I don't shoot videos but had both lenses and kept the Sigma, mainly because of 30 vs. 35mm. The SEL35f18 is a great lens, more than one stop faster, has O.S.S.!, a creamier bokeh so if you have the money and don't mind the 35mm focal length I'd get the Sony lens.

3. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    using sigma 18-35 art lens with adapter is an option as well. and imo a very good one.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    The Sony's main advantage is the 1.8 F-Stop.

Both are very fine and should serve you well.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    Ah, the ongoing complaint that there is no fast native zoom lenses.
    :)
    IIRC, the Sony 35 has a concave front element. And the reputation is that it's center sharp/edge soft. But actually photos and some online reviews proved otherwise. I wouldn't hesitate to pick it over the Sigma 30, which I happen to have. For roughly $160 USD more, you get a faster lens and OSS. Significant in low light conditions shooting hand-held. If you're shooting videos for your reviews, the faster glass is a plus here too, less studio lighting. I happen to like the 35mm focal length on the a6000, yielding a familiar normal prime ~50-55mm FOV. The Sigma is a very good lens as well, and closer to the 28mm ideal for the Sony APS-C. I like mine, and it's one hell of a sharp rendering lens. It only fell short for me when I could have used f/1.8.
    But if you're going to be making videos with a tripod and added lighting, the Sigma 30 is fine.

BTW, another lens to consider is the Sony FE 28mm f/2.

6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I've had both lenses and if sharpness was your main concern, there is really very little between these lenses. Both are very good from 2.8 through 8 and pretty much equal. If you are using the lenses for recording videos, the Sony will be better 1) because it has OSS if you are using it handheld but less of a factor if you are using a tripod for reviews and 2) the focus motor is virtually silent on the Sony 35 while the Sigma 30mm makes a high pitched noise for AF and MF focus changes. The extra 1 1/3 stop of light will also let you use a lower ISO for cleaner video. Lastly you will be able to get shallower depth of field for focus pulls if that is part of your reviews.

I would make sure that 35mm (52.5mm equivalent) is not too tight for shooting your videos. It's probably fine for close ups of the phones but might be tight if you want to include yourself in the frame if the room you are using is on the small side.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pirzu

Pirzu New to TalkEmount

Dec 22, 2015
    Lukas
    Yes, you're right, so maybe I should buy 30mm Sigma and used Sony 50mm f1.8 ? I Record now on ~25mm so it will be hard to record my self on 35mm.
    50mm will be good for great bokeh and the quality od video, details of smarphone will be better, am I sure?

8. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    You record on 25 mm lens on APS-C or 25mm equivalent (smartphone usually show equivalent 35mm focal length). If 25mm is hard for you, 30mm will not be any better. There is also the 19mm sigma and 20mm Sony lens (both 2.8) if you want wider.

9. Pirzu

Pirzu New to TalkEmount

Dec 22, 2015
    Lukas
    Here, on this video my person is recorded with (or "by", I don't know :p) 25mm 4.5, I am able to go back with my desk so I hope 30mm will be ok, I want to have better bokeh. Will I feel diffirence between 2.8 and 1.8?