1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL24F18Z vs. SEL28F2

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Hawkman, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    While I have been a "budget" buyer for some time, steadfastly claiming that the esteemed Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 APS-C E-mount lens was way too rich for my blood, I've come to like the focal length, often gravitating to it on my SEL1855. And while I like my Sigma 30/2.8 Art well enough, at f/2.8 there are times (like in dimly lit rooms at Christmastime with family) where I long for the faster speed of an f/2 or f/1.8 lens.

That being said, I've been actually thinking about splurging on an SEL24F18Z, which is currently US$200 off at Amazon and B&H, etc. However, the still hefty $900 price tag is... scary. And then I look over and see the Sony FE 28mm f/2 sitting there for $450. I know that at 28mm it is the equivalent of 42mm on APS-C, a bit narrower than the 36mm equivalent SEL24F18Z, but it is half the price AND is an FE lens that would carry value over for the time when I (inevitably?) move up to an FE body.

So, my question to the forum, particularly those who have or have used both lenses on APS-C, is whether you feel that the 28/2 might be a suitable replacement for the more expensive APS-C-only Sony/Zeiss 24/1.8?

Thoughts everyone?

2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    I have the 24, I love the 24 but I would not pay $900 for it. I bought mine used for $575. The Sony logo on the lens hood doesn't match up but other than that the lens works great.

If you know for sure you are going to move up to FF then I would buy the 28. If not I would consider a used 24. 4mm may not seem like a lot but on APS-C can be the difference between loving a lens and liking a lens. The 24 can barely be considered "wide" and I feel I would like it even more if it was closer to 20mm. I had the Sigma 30mm and for me it was in no-man's land as far as focal length.

Does any of this make sense? :hmmm:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I don't have either of these lenses but IMHO 4mm is a BIG difference when we are talking about wide(r) angle perspective (I sometimes find my MD24-35mm set at 24mm not wide enough and that's on FF!!!).

Also, I don't think the comparison between the Zeiss 24 1.8 and the FE 28 2 is even fair. I'm a strong believer that its not the gear but the photographer that makes the difference but from the reviews/samples I've read/seen, the Zeiss is on a different category altogether IQ wise.

The Zeiss 24 will hold its (expensive) value much better than the FE 28...

4. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks Chris. And yes, it does make sense.
    I must say that your work with the 24 has been one of the factors that has swayed me to considering it. But I haven't found it yet for less than $600 from a reliable source as you did. I do understand that those 4mm can make a big difference in some cases... many cases/shots perhaps. And yet the 28/2 is soooo tempting considering its price and FE stature, even though I am not sure I'd be going FE for at least another year or more.

5. Nightdiver13

Nightdiver13 TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 17, 2015
    Norcal wilderness
    Neil
    I really think you should base it completely on preferred focal length. If 36mm just jives with you, you'll be frustrated with 42mm. Both lenses are very nice, so no worries regarding performance.

6. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Thanks Steve. I could justify paying up to $675ish for a good copy.

The other consideration is how you plan using the lens. The 24 is a great all-purpose lens but it's designed more to shoot fast and open. It's fine as a landscape lens but really shines f/4 and wider.

7. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    As I have a MD Rokkor-X 28/2.8, which I haven't used much since getting the Sigma 30, perhaps I'll shoot with it for awhile here and see how I feel about the focal length now.

8. WT21

WT21 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Random thoughts:

1. You should go with the focal length you like.
    2. The 28/2 is a very nice budget lens. I have this one and have not used the 24. Sorry.
    3. There is no way the 24 holds it's value, if bought new, better than the 28. The 24 new is like $900 and is already found used for $600 and under. If you buy new, you instantly lose $300. The 28/2 is a $400 lens. It will not be worth only $100 any time soon. If you buy the 24 used, that's a different story, but whether it falls further is depending on how much people feel Sony is dedicated to APS-C (i.e. if people stay with APS-C or move elsewhere)
    4. Go with the focal length you want (see #1)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  9. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    I have both. I have not used 24mm much, but like its IQ eg better then Sony 28 f2, 35 f1.8, 50mm f1.8 lenses. Sony 28mm has a big distortion correction, which was a first for Sony primes esp in comparison to Sony 24/35/50mm nex lenses that are optically corrected. 28mm might be better with crop as it cuts the corners/edges. Batis 25mm replaced both. Still 28mm might be a good option if you are going to FF. My favorite shot with 24mm:

original.

Steve, if you are still looking for a used 24mm, pm me. I will check mine as I still have its boxes, but I have to find it as everything is packed after we moved from DC area to NYC area. Woodworks got my A7 II as a reference...

• Like Like x 3