• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

SEL24f18z Firmware Update

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
At the Sony support website, I noticed that a firmware update is available for the SEL24f18z lens to enable it for full compatibility with cameras that have hybrid AF. Maybe it's been out for awhile, but I had never noticed it before.

Anyway, can anyone confirm that if you do upgrade the firmware on the lens, then it will no longer be compatible with the Nex-7? I couldn't find that statement in the instructions, but I got the impression that if upgraded, it can no longer be used on both the A6000 and the Nex-7. Am I missing something?

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I have used my updated SEL24 on my A6000 and my old 5N with no issues. I can't see the NEX-7 being any different, but maybe a formal question to Sony is in order.

dbmiller

TalkEmount All-Pro
I went to the Sony support site and didn't see anything that implied it wouldn't work. But the list of "Applicable Models" definitely does not include any camera that didn't have Hybrid-AF. As the update can only be applied on cameras with Hybrid-AF, that is why the firmware update is only applicable to them.

So the way I read it, the update does not apply to the NEX-7, cannot be appplied using the NEX-7, but I see nothing that says apply this update using a Hybrid-AF camera will make it incompatible with the NEX-7.

I'll double-check to make sure my SEL24 still works on the 5N and let you know.

starmite

TalkEmount Regular
Thank you for confirming. I realized I couldn't do the upgrade anyway since I'm still so happy with my Nex-7.

Latest threads

Top Bottom