1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sel24 vs a 1855 and 35mm

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by gmutt26, Jan 21, 2015.

1. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    Please can I get some help. What would you guys buy. A sel24 or a 1855 plus a 35?

Sent from my D6603 using TalkEmount mobile app

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Well, I'm pretty sure that most of us could tell you what we'd buy. But we may have other lenses that fill in the missing focal lengths, or preferences about what sort of focal lengths we like to shoot. But without knowing a whole lot more about your other lenses and preferences, none of us is going to able to be of much help to you. :hmmm:

• Like Like x 3
  3. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    A few months ago I started a thread polling forum members for their preferred prime lens focal length for all-around use. I was asking about the 30-35mm range versus the 50-60mm range, but most members seemed to gravitate towards the 24mm or 30-35mm ranges on APS-C, which each correspond to the 35mm and 50mm full-frame equivalent focal lengths. And those two seem to be the most prevalent for FF shooters as well, so I understand. I had asked because I was debating between the SEL50F18 and the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN Art (in the course of time I ended up getting both when they each went on sale).

Now, if money were not a problem, then I know that I would have gotten the SEL24F18Z. In my use of the kit SEL1855, I have found 24mm to be a very nice general use focal length, not too wide and not too tight for everyday "landscape", "street" and "event" shooting. That said, I have found lots of use for my SEL50 and Sigma 30, with the 18-55 to fill in most other focal lengths when outdoors.

As said above, much depends on what you like to and want to shoot and where.

4. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    The 24mm renders beautifully and is worthy of the A6000 sensor. The question is whether being limited to one focal length is worth given up a zoom and another prime.

The "old kit" zoom can be had used for a fairly cheap price. If these were my options, I would buy the 24mm and save up to later purchase the 18-55 used.

• Like Like x 1
  5. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    All good info. Thanks everyone. I have a old 50mm lens I use and the 1650 kit that I have up on eBay right now to help fund a 24mm. So would just a 24 and a 50 do? Or is it worth keeping the 1650?

6. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    Eric
    Tough call. What do you like to shoot? What FL do you prefer? Do you prefer shallow or deeper DOF?

If you don't know, use the 16-50...and go out photographing everything that interests you. After a while, go back and look at your pictures. Do you like the IQ? Are most of your 'keepers' are at a certain FL (say near 19, 24, 30, 35, or 50) or all over the board? Are the images sharp enough? Do you wish you were able to get a shallower DOF on some images? Are you often at one end of the zoom range or the other?

• Like Like x 2
  7. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    Most if not all are around 30_50. I take photos of.my daughter and landscape. I hear the 24 is great for this giving a 36 focal length. I want to get nice blurred background. Fast and good in low light. Very Sharpe and good contrast.

8. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    By "old 50mm lens" do you mean an adapted manual focus lens or a native SEL50F18? Either way, any decent 50mm with a max aperture of f/2.0 or better should give you the blurred background and good low light performance for close-in shots, i.e., portraits, of family and pets. For more general use, like for group shots of family and friends, then a 24-30mm would be better.

The Sony/Zeiss SEL24F18Z is a great lens from what I read and hear, but at US$1000 or so new, it is mighty expensive compared to the SEL50F18, SEL35F18, and the SELP1650 and SEL1855 kit zooms.

Everyone is different and has differing preferences and tastes, but I have a sense that for you, as well as for myself and many other "advanced beginner" types, having a zoom like the 16-50 or 18-55 in addition to one or more primes is a good idea to provide flexibility for general use.

I suppose I would echo what Eric (SpaceManSpiff) has said and experiment with the 16-50 for a bit to get a feel for the focal lengths. And, if your 50mm is an adapted lens, maybe you could pick up a 28mm f/2.8 in whatever mount type you have, be it Minolta SR/MC/MD, Canon FD, Nikon F, etc. 28mm manual focus lenses are plentiful and relatively cheap (easily found under US$100, some even under US$50) and they would provide a nice field of view that is wider than a 50 but not quite as wide as a 24.
    Just my US$0.02 worth. ;)

9. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    It's a minolta 50 1.9 and it's adapted so manual. It's great. I think i will go for the zeiss 24. Thanks for everything

• Like Like x 1
  10. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    If you're shooting 30 to 50 mm on a crop body now, then the lenses to get would be the Sony 35mm (or the cheaper and highly regarded Sigma 30mm) and either the Sony 50mm or the Sigma 60mm.

Flickr has a group for the 24mm lens which will give you an idea of whether that works for you. I think more blurred backgrounds will need a longer fast lens -- I use a manual 50mm f/1.7. The 24mm gives softly defocused backgrounds more like this: [​IMG][/url]MikeWPuppy1 by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

That was shot wide open. And yes, it is a sharp lens wide open.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    These and other shots with the Sony/Zeiss 24mm f/1.8 look so nice!
    I do like the focal length a lot. I just wish that Sony had a 24mm lens option that was maybe a little less expensive than the Zeiss.
    Maybe a 24/2.8 non-Zeiss, non-G at something more like US$350-500? I realize that such a new lens might "cannabilize" a big chunk of the highly profitable SEL24F18Z sales, but any added sale of a plain Sony lens in this range to those who wouldn't/couldn't spring for the existing Sony/Zeiss offering would be an added sale nonetheless, right?

12. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    There's a Sony pancake lens that's 20mm and which will apparently take the fish eye and ultra wide adaptors. The other option is to buy an old manual Nikon 24mm and use that on an adaptor.

13. Hawkman

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    Steve
    Thanks... I was just needlessly whining. ;)
    But I have been eyeing 24mm Nikon, Canon and Minolta manual focus lenses. And when I upgrade to a new body, if it's a more compact model (like the a6000 or its future kin) I will definitely consider the Sony 20mm pancake. :)

14. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    Sorry I ment 30 cropped. I have ordered a 24mm now so I cantvwait to get shooting

• Like Like x 1
  15. WalkaboutSean

WalkaboutSean TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 13, 2014
    Wise choice on the 24. It is my favorite E-mount lens. Not only is the focal length versatile, the lens delivers great sharpness, color, and contrast. Excellent in low light. It even focuses a mere 6 inches away from the subject (a feature that comes in handy quite often). It's a shame it's so expensive, but the price is high for these reasons. Alas, Sony also knows it's a special lens...

• Like Like x 2
  16. gmutt26

May 14, 2013
    Loving this lens so far. Just ordered a b+w uv for it.

• Like Like x 1