1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sel24 v sel1670

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by gmutt26, Jan 28, 2015.

1. gmutt26

gmutt26 TalkEmount Regular

May 14, 2013
    What one is going to produce the best iq and be sharpest

Sent from my D6603 using TalkEmount mobile app

2. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris

Primes in general are "better" than zooms. The SEL 24 Zeiss along with the Touit lenses give you the best IQ among E-mount (APS-C).

3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    That statement isn't necessarily true anymore. Canon's latest 24-70 is FANTASTIC! Still, the 24mm Zeiss has some advantages over the 16-70.

- it's lighter and smaller
    - it's more than two stops faster
    - it can focus so close to achieve a 1:4 maximum magnification, which is fantastic for such a wide lens
    - it has better color rendering (from what I've seen, at least)

The zoom is, of course, more flexible and I bet it doesn't have as big of a problem with CAs.

So it's the old prime vs zoom debate again, and only you can make the decision.

To get back to quality, though: The best E-Mount lens in the world is the 50mm f/2.8 Zeiss Touit. And yes, you can quote me on that.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    We can quote you on it, but where is the evidence? The lens showcase doesn't have anything on that Touit :p

5. Lisandra

Lisandra TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 28, 2015
    In the world??? post some photos after a claim like that!

6. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I will - as soon as it's back from its firmware update. The guys at Zeiss seem to take ages to do that ...

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    Great!! Id like to post some side by side with the mitakon 50 at f2.8. maybe we can agree on the same subject (a can of pepsi or something) and settings and have a decent comparison!!! I love it!!!!

8. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Sure, I'm looking forward to that comparison! Just keep in mind that the Touit is an APS-C lens, while the Mitakon 50mm is a full frame lens, so the field of view will be different.

9. Lisandra

Jan 28, 2015
    true, still it would be fun. Id stick it on a 5n for comparisons sake

• Like Like x 1
  10. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I do not have the Canon, but I have been quite satisfied with the Zeiss 24mm f:1.8 on my NEX-6, especially because it is small and light. (And because I am Cheap. I got the lens for $450 used, in immaculate condition from a reputable store, thanks to a post here from one of the members who had seen it.)

Here is a grab shot from four days ago of my 6 year-old grandson about to eat an after-practice snack. Taken using Program Mode at 1/160 second, f:4.5, and ISO 800. Looking at the original image at 1:1, the texture of the robe at the focal point next to his face is very, very detailed.

Swimming-12.

- Tom -

• Like Like x 2