sel20f28 vs sel35f18?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by d3xophen, Jul 13, 2014.

1. d3xophen

d3xophen TalkEmount Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    Hi , I m very confusing to choose between sel20f28 and sel35f18.
    I have sel1650, sel50f18, sel55210.
    my prime 50 mm is too tight for my baby in my room.?
    is 35mm prime enough for 15x15feet room?
  2. codesnipper

codesnipper New to TalkEmount

May 16, 2014
    Check with 1650 by setting 35 and 20 mm ;)
    • Like Like x 2
  3. ddavi78

ddavi78 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    I had that lens (35mm) and imo it should work for you. I used it for the same purpose before selling and picking up the 32mm.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkEmount
  4. shnitz

shnitz TalkEmount Regular

Jun 15, 2014
    One doesn't replace the other. I have both focal lengths, and they're both for different uses. I couldn't imagine trying to live with only one. As mentioned, set your 16-50mm lens to 20mm and go walk around for 2 hours taking photos. Then, turn it to 35mm and go shooting for a while. See if they work for you.

I can tell you that for general photography, the 20mm is better. That's why it's the same equivalent focal length as most cell phones on the market today; if you're going to be shooting everything, you'll appreciate having a moderately wide lens. However, the wide lens is not flattering if you are doing portraits. You will find that most professional baby photographers use a normal lens for baby portraits, which means that the 35mm is your great option. It will not be for baby tight headshots, but for environmental portraits, like what Ann Geddes does.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    I also have both lenses and I agree with this. This is excellent advice.
  6. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA

The SEL35F18 should do well for baby portrait shots.
  7. ddavi78

ddavi78 TalkEmount Regular

Dec 28, 2013
    I agree this is good advice. I do think the 35mm is a much better lens and I used it often in spaces like that with my baby and now 1yr old. If you are buying both then the 20mm may be a better first purchase for the reasons listed above. However, If you are only buying one or the other definitely purchase the SEL3518. You will not be is one of the best e-mount lenses. Great versatility and image quality (very, very close to the 32mm Touit) for a much lower price. I took great images of my baby with it and found it worked great in all situations during the first year!

Sent from my iPad using TalkEmount
    • Like Like x 2