Sel20f28 or adapted lens?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by pixael, Oct 4, 2013.

1. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Hi guys
    I bought a sel20f28 looking for a walkaround lens. I read good comments about this lens but I'm wondering if f2.8 is too less to have a god DOF management.
    I obviously don't expect to get results that I get with the 50f18 which I love but is too narrow for landscapes and street.
    Otherwise can you suggest a faster lens?
    I read about the panasonic 20mm f1.7 but I don't know if there is an adapter slim enough to keep the pancake L&F.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I know of no lens available today that will get you a narrower DOF in the ~20mm range on a NEX than the Sony 20mm. The SEL24F18Z will get you a little narrower, but with a tighter field of view, and a much higher price. The Sigma 19mm is slightly wider, but is still f/2.8.

No µ4/3 lens (including the Panasonic 20mm) will work on a NEX (or any APSC sensor camera) without significant vignetting. They're designed to work on a sensor with a smaller image circle.

There may be some faster legacy 20mm lenses out there, but they're probably rare, and pricey.

So... sorry, but you have me stumped. :p

3. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    Thanks I know it's hard... I love nex cameras but the lack of lenses sometimes is a little bit frustrating... Don't mind if I can have a great sensor and a light camera tough ;-)

www.flickr.com/photos/giuseppemilo

4. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    I wouldn't exactly call this 'lack of lenses'. Extremely shallow depth of field in wide angle lenses simply ain't gonna happen for relatively low budgets.

5. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    As a SEL20F28 owner myself, I understand OP. I'd love to see something like Canon's 20mm ƒ2.0 implemented for the NEX system

7. dmc

dmc New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    Post some shots, please.

8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    • Like Like x 1
  9. photoluminaire

photoluminaire TalkEmount Regular

Oct 7, 2013
    You would need to get 24/1.4 or 35/1.4 on full frame to notice a big difference. Stitching 50/1.8 shots to get 20mm FOV with less DOF if worth an experiment for a limited set of circumstances (brenizer technique as it has become known).

10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    If you want AF, then you are rather limited. The only under 2.8 is the 50mm 1.8.

If you are willing to MF, then the options really open up.

11. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    There's a nice range of f/1.8 lenses - 24mm, 32mm, 35mm, 50mm -- not all of them are exactly cheap, but for example with the 24mm Sonnar and it's 1:4 max magnification you can get pretty shallow depth of field.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya anything under 24mm and or 2.8 gets pricey.

13. pixael

pixael TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 1, 2013
    Dublin
    I see :)