SEL16F28 w/ wide adapter or 10-18 f4?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Jazzer, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about (but haven't yet committed to) purchasing a wide angle lens for my NEX 6. What prompted this is that I have a business trip in Paris and, while I probably won't have more than about a day or so to play tourist and take some photos, it seemed as though a wide angle lens might come in handy. I also have the 16-50pz and 19mm Sigma, so maybe one of those would be sufficient, but I thought something wider might be helpful.

With this in mind, I was looking at the 16mm with the adapter and the 10-18 f4. The latter is supposedly the better lens and is more versatile, but it is pricey and I'm not yet certain how much I would wind up using the lens, so I'm not sure if it is worth laying out that kind of money. In fact, I'm not sure if it makes sense even to spend the $300-$350 on the 16mm/converter combo.

So I guess I am asking two questions: (1) As between the 10-18 and the 16mm with converter, which would you choose?; and (2) would you just scrap the idea of getting one of these lenses because what I already have should do the job?

As always, thoughts are appreciated.

2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    The nice thing about the wa adapter and the fish eye is that it is faster. Indoor and low light are pretty decent with them. I can't speak for the 10-18 because I don't have it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks, Deadbear. Do you lose any light using the adapter? Also would you happen to have any samples using the wa adapter that you have posted on the forum that you can point me to?

4. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    I don't think you loose anything, I'll post sample in a minute.

5. Deadbear77

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Here some quick samples all shot at 1/125 2.8 ISO 400

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1393118760.066274.
    16mm

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1393118774.782822.
    16WA

ImageUploadedByTalkEmount1393118802.616353.
    16+fish

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks a million.

7. josema

josema TalkEmount Regular

Mar 31, 2013
    Spain
    Jose M. Alonso
    • Like Like x 1
  8. rossi46

rossi46 TalkEmount Rookie

Feb 28, 2014
    Not sure if I'm replying in time, but another option is to mount the UWA on the SEL20F28 pancake. I bought that lens originally instead of the 16mm since it was rated higher and was even smaller. It was intended to be the lens I use when I want the absolute smallest walk-around package available.

Turns out that the UWA fits perfectly on the lens! With the 0.75x factor you get 15mm (23mm efl) - so maybe not truly "ultra wide," but I've enjoyed having that much more width.

Anyway, just an option to consider. You should be able to put that whole package together for less than $300, and have a pretty sharp lens (more so than the 16mm) with f/2.8. Good luck, either way!

9. Jazzer

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Thanks josema and rossi for your thoughts. I decided to give the 16mm with the converter a try. I just received the 16mm last night and am waiting for the converter, which should be here today or Monday. I already have the 19mm Sigma and the kit 16-50pz, so I think this will provide me some additional flexibility to experiment with at a reasonable price. Maybe it won't be the absolute sharpest available, but I'm sure it will be good enough for my purposes and if I find this is a preferred focal length/range for me, I can consider something else down the road.

• Like Like x 1