1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL16f28 Advice

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Simsy, Jan 10, 2013.

1. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Ok people I want to know what you really think of the 16mm pancake lens. I have the 18-55 and the 55-210 on a nex f3 and I plan on using it to travel with, I was thinking of getting the 16mm and wide converter for the big landscapes and just to leave on the camera as a gp lens for when I just want to pick up the camera and shoot.

I don't understand all that chromatic blah blah and the other technical stuff. What I really want to know is dose it take decent pics, is it user friendly and dose the converter work well with it. In other words simply would you buy 1 for what I plan to do with it is it worth the money around $120 on eBay or is it not worth considering.

The thing that triggered this was I couldn't get far enough back yesterday when I was trying to take a shot with the 18-55 well at least not without getting run over.

Just plain user experience and in English would be good.

Thanks Paul

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    The 16 is a nice pancake lens for its price. The converter keeps the quality as is, which is great for a front mounted converter. In other words: not technically perfect, but more than capable enough for casual landscape shooting. However, if you want to print 120x80 cm or bigger, better adap your Sigma 10-20.

3. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah I thought about doing that but the whole idea is to minimize weight and space required. The sigma 10-20 is a big heavy lens and would negate the whole purpose of getting the nex.

4. ChangshaNotes

ChangshaNotes Super Moderator

Aug 15, 2012
    China
    Colin
    I like mine. I think it's well suited for the use you describe.

5. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Great Take-Away lens which gives the NEX a handbag size...
    The 2 converter make 3in1 solution and the IQ is still good!
    I like mine too...

6. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I am not really a wide angle photographer but of course there are shots where you need it - so my 16mm and wide angle converter is my way of having a wide angle lens on a budget. (As I don't use the focal length that often). It can also be fun just to go out and look for places to take some photos - where it's more about having fun and unusual angles rather than ultimate picture quality. For example the other night I took these using 'hand held twilight' - not great pictures but fun to take:

DSC03663.JPG

DSC03710.JPG

With the 16mm + convertor I basically get 2 lenses in one for around £200. It's also very easy to remove the convertor, hold it in one hand or put it in a pocket and just use the 16mm - much quicker than changing lenses would be.

I am thinking of getting the fisheye converter too as it's only £80 vs the Samyang 8mm at £250 but am a bit worried that it's the kind of thing which woud be fun for a week or two and then the novelty would wear off and I would never use it again? Anyone got any sample shots with the fisheye & 16mm? Those who have it do you use it much?

Lots of photos with the Nex 16mm in the Flickr group pool: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1455154@N24/pool/

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    If you get a good copy of the lens it is sharp, has good contrast, is very small, and very light. It uses the same hood as the 18-55. You can add the UWA and fisheye adapters to it and if you don't make a living with those two kinds of shots you'll be very happy.

I never bonded with mine. No idea why, but even being built much like the 18-55 and the 55-210 it just didn't seem to have any soul. Seems strange and pehaps a little silly that I chose and use a lens (CV15) that requires a lot of post processing for useable pics, but there you go. It has lots of soul. ;)

8. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
  9. tanglewood

tanglewood TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    :D

That I do, too, when I use either the wide one or the fishy one.

10. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Well Decision made then I have ordered the sel16f28 and the VCL-ECU1 wide converter so if I don't like them I'm blaming you guys lol.

11. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    It was them!!! lol

12. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Here is a question for you guys, I like to keep a UV filter on my lenses just to protect the glass anyway will the converter fit with a filter on I'm guessing no but if it dose would it effect the image.

13. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    Markus
    Unfortunately not!
    The converters fit directly on the 16.
    And you can't screw a filter on front of the converters.
    The 16 of course can handle a 49mm filter but not together with a converter.

14. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    yeah I thought that would be the case never mind I will just have to remove the filter b4 using the converter I guess.

15. tanglewood

tanglewood TalkEmount Rookie

Oct 11, 2012
    Please try applemint's suggestion.

Keep the adapter on the 16 always.

Remove the adapter only when you want to make a photo without UWA.

The adapter is your filter.

It has a nice lens cap, too.

Above all, enjoy the 2 new lenses you are about to get.

Well, OK, 2 new focal lengths... :)

16. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    More than 2 if you count the 2x zoom built into the camera. I actually tried it on my 55-210 the other day it worked out kinda ok not great but ok.

17. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Ok, but what happens if you like them? Do we get a prize, lol? :eek:

18. Dioptrick

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Real NEX ninja's don't use UV filters... neither does Chuck Norris... ;)

19. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    England
    It's not Orange!
    Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! :D

20. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    nope no prize but you might get a surprise when I tell the wife that you guys made me buy them lol