1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL16F128 + A6000 focus tracking supported?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by José De Bardi, Feb 8, 2015.

1. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Hi All,

So I know when the A6000 first came out there were firmware updates for various lenses to give them PDAF support, however, I have noticed over the last few weeks that my SEL16F28 does not do focus tracking (so no little green boxes dancing - just the big green static box once locked), and in the menu it says on the tracking options 'not supported on this lens'...

Anyone else confirm either way if this should/shouldn't work? And if it should and as mine isn't, how to fix it?

Many thanks :)

2. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    I went to the Sony site for updating lens firmware and this lens isn't listed. Nor is the Sony 20mm f/2.8 lens. Both are early model pancake lenses. However, focus tracking is another feature independent of how the camera focuses the lens. My camera is running Ver. 1.10 firmware, don't know whether that affects anything. Put the camera in continuous autofocus and in wide focus area (third screen on the camera settings) and on Lock-on AF (fifth screen on the camera settings). Because it's using contrast detect, you won't see the dancing squares and it will be slower, but very wide angle lenses are generally not used that much for action shots and will have a fairly deep depth of field anyway.

3. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    Yea, the saving grace is I generally don't need it. Just would be nice to have!