1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

sel1650pz swap to sel1855

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by tesna, Sep 2, 2013.

1. tesna

tesna New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2013
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    So I just got NEX6 with SELP1650 kit few days ago and I already thinking to swap the lens with SEL1855. While the IQ is good enough for me and size is almost pocketable, but I don't like the power zoom. I just don't like the feel of it. Am I crazy? I'm coming from A77 and SAL1650 and replace it to NEX6 in hope I will use the camera on more occasion due to the smaller size. I guess the SEL1855 still considerably smaller than SAL1650 so the size should be still acceptable. From what I read the IQ of SEL1855 should be slightly better than the SELP1650. I think I can get the SEL1855 for $100 (used) and sell the SELP1650 for $200. What do you guys think?

2. Revrock

Revrock TalkEmount Rookie

Aug 7, 2013
    Good idea. I switched to the 16-50 on my nex 5n and I also don't like the power zoom as much. But I like the size and weight difference. On the 5n, the 18-55 makes the camera a bit top heavy - which is ok, but for video it was hard to balance or shoot with one hand. The nex 6 is a bit sturdier so that weight difference might not be a big deal. As for IQ, I haven't really noticed a significant difference. I'm sure it's there, but the IQ improvement isn't a main draw. Anyway, sounds like you're looking for a bit of info and reassurance. I'd say go for it.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Perhaps someone might like to trade lenses with you? Post up in the Marketplace wanting to trade and see if anyone bites. :)

4. Javcky

Javcky TalkEmount Rookie

Apr 17, 2012
    I did the same, I bought a NEX6 with 16-50 and then bought a black 18-55 from ebay and sold my power zoom, for most jpegs picture quality was more or less on par but raw it stands out more and I hated the power zoom

5. rspray

rspray New to TalkEmount

Sep 5, 2013
    Tesna - PM me. Just got my 5N with 18-55mm and was thinking about switching. My reason is a bit different. This 5N will ultimately become my wife's day-to-day, and she would prefer smaller lens and doesn't mind power-zoom (more like P&S). I plan on getting a Nex-7 (or successor) and either want the kit lens with it, or the 18-70mm Zeiss (hopefully they are the same!). Good to hear IQ is similar, though.

6. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Ta-da! Problem solved. :)

7. tesna

tesna New to TalkEmount

Sep 2, 2013
    Jakarta, Indonesia
    PM replied :) thank you for the responses guys