SEL1650 - Long exposure artifact/flare

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by karmakomae, Dec 10, 2013.

1. karmakomae

karmakomae TalkEmount Rookie

Dec 10, 2013
    Hello folks !

I just shot a few picture of the Olympic Stadium here in Montreal the other night, and I was surprised to see some artifact around the lights with the kit lens (Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS) on the NEX-3N. The thing is, all my shots are exhibiting this issue, but it tends to attenuate moving to the long end of the zoom.

I know the lens is not the best performer, and it kind of get really bad on the wide end, but that it comes to this extent is worrying me. The weird thing is that other than that the shot is plenty sharp, but it looks like the glass gives some *flare* in this particular condition.

You can see the whole picture here :
    http://zp.karmakomae.com/albums/Olympic-Stadium-8-Dec-2013/DSC00129.jpg

(I tried to upload a crop but it can't seem to figure why it doesn't work - Got a red exclamation mark)

Is anybody experiencing the same ?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Azon

Azon TalkEmount Regular

Jul 31, 2013
    Just consider it as a special effect and keep shooting:) 16-50 is a good lens, I'm not joking.
    Welcome to the forum!

• Like Like x 1
  3. dmc

dmc New to TalkEmount

Jun 29, 2013
    What f stop did you use? Did you use a tripod?

4. karmakomae

Dec 10, 2013
    Well it's going to be hard to consider it a special effect since it looks awful.

Considering the EXIF, this is the dump :

Camera Maker: Sony
    Camera Model: NEX-3N
    Shutter Speed: 2/5 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    ISO Sensitivity: 200
    Exposure Compensation: 0 EV
    Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
    Flash Fired: No Flash
    Focal Length: 16 mm

And it was on a tabletop tripod. I know, not the best, but rather stable and this showed (more or less) on every photograph ..

5. serhan

serhan TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 27, 2011
    NYC
    Interesting to know that. I haven't used the lens lately. I also saw that its OSS doesn't work w/ A7-A7R... Otherwise nice compact lens.

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yeah, the kit lens is not totally immune to flare, and the contrast difference is quite extreme in this lighting situation. If it's actually lens flare, the only thing you could do against it would be altering the composition until the flares don't show up anymore, which is pretty impractical, or you can clone it out if you take some time.

7. mypobox

mypobox New to TalkEmount

Dec 12, 2013
    i think azon is right. i dont mind the "effect" at all. nice shot

8. karmakomae

Dec 10, 2013
    Well it is true everything could be considered a special effect ..

I just received an adapter Minolta MD to NEX so I will try to reproduce and compare with another lens, just to make sure this is originating from the 16-50 and not something else (sensor?).

I'll post the result here =)

9. karmakomae

Dec 10, 2013
    Alright, so yesterday I managed to do a few tests with the lens. I was able to reproduce the problem easily using a LED, and it appeared to be actually flare. I compared it with two old minoltas, and the 16-50 is really heavily prone to flare and ghosting, at least in this specific setup :disturbed:.