1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sel1650 focus problem

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by crunchie, Sep 24, 2013.

1. crunchie

crunchie New to TalkEmount

Sep 24, 2013
    I have just got a 1650 pancake zoom lens on my 5r but having issue with AF

Basically if I set centre spot focus and focus on something e.g a computer keyboard from above.
    If I then look at the image, it seems to be focussed on the table underneath.

Manually focussing on the same spot seems fine .

Is this a lens fault or camera fault?
    ( AF seems fine on the 1855 stock lens)

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Sounds like it may be back-focusing. But have you done tests with any additional targets other than your keyboard?

3. crunchie

Sep 24, 2013
    Hi,
    I've tried with lots of scenes and get similar results where it seems to be the area behind the focus point that is actually in focus

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    Hm, I fear you're in for a warranty repair, crunchie. Time to send that lens off to Sony.

5. -et-

-et- TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 26, 2013
    Southern California
    Tom
    I'm not sure that a keyboard is a good subject for testing the auto-focus. There are multiple places that might appear to be the correct focus point to an automatic detection algorithm.

Try something like placing a sheet of printed paper on the floor with a bold black line drawn on it from right to left. Then select spot focus on your camera and shoot that paper from several feet away while standing up, with the spot focus point on the bold line. See what parts of the printed text are in focus relative to that line.

- Tom -

6. crunchie

Sep 24, 2013