SEL16 is it so crappy?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jun 19, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    I just read the review here
    http://www.photozone.de/sony_nex/728-sony16f28nex7?start=1

at conclusions

Code:
    The nice build quality and the very attractive form factor of the pancake lens can't overshadow the conclusion that it should just be AVOIDED on the NEX 7. It is a bit hard to understand Sony's logic of releasing a camera with a difficult 24 megapixel sensor without a set of lenses that are capable of exploiting its potential. Hopefully this situation will improve soon ... please! 

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    It is not the best lens of the group, but in daylight conditions you could get some very pleasing shots.

3. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    Yes but I think his argument is about how optically performs.... At the end of the review just gets one star out of 5...

4. izTheViz

izTheViz TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 10, 2013
    Paris
    Yannis Marigo
    • Like Like x 8
  5. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I personally don't believe in "bad or crap" lenses...

For me its all in the photographer.
    I've seen excellent results from this particular lens as shown above by "IzTheViz" :thumbup:

Take a look at our forum's sample archive thread for this lens if you haven't already - you'd be suprised:
    https://www.talkemount.com/showthread.php?t=19&page=6&highlight=sel16

• Like Like x 3
  6. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    It does horrible in reviews for a few reasons. This lens has very soft extreme corners and outside of the central area, is not very good at f2.8. At f4, this lens is much better and by 5.6, you should have everything but the extreme corners sharp. Look on the Flickr Pool for this lens. You can see some example of the corner softness but in a well composed image you won't notice it. Most review have been done on the NEX-7 which has corner issues with wide lenses so you have to take the reviews with a grain of salt.

I took this image last fall with the SEL 16mm. You won't see corner softness in the sky or water. This was handheld with a polarizer early in the morning so I could have probably done better on a Tripod.

My biggest issue with this lens is that you can't really mount filters when using the wide angle adapter. I just bought a Cokin P filter holder which some have been able to use a 67mm ring to hold it on the hood part of the ECU1 adapter.

10283338456_c7719d7094_b. DSC09581-3 by HabsFan27, on Flickr

• Like Like x 3
  7. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Yes, it is crap when it comes to corner resolution, no matter how far you stop down. And for a 16mm lens, which is typically used for landscapes, this is a nogo. It is, however, nice for street photos and other stuff where center resolution is far more important than edge resolution. It has a nice color rendering and everything, it's just not a great lens per se.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    William
    I was thinking of purchasing this lens, but ended up going for the SEL20F28 instead.
    With the UWA VCL-ECU1 converter, I'm getting 15mm...close to the SEL16F28, but with better results.

I purchased the SEL20F28 from Best Buy on sale for $159 and bought the VCL-ECU1 from Adorama used $75.
    Definitely was worth the cost of just buying the SEL16F28.

9. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    It's not the sharpest lens, but it's not the disaster people make it out to be. The 16-50 kit lens is soft in the corners at 16mm too.
    I use it with the wide angle adapter and leave myself a little wiggle room in my composition to crop the photo down. I almost never shoot it without the wide angle adapter because if I need 16mm the kit lens is usually easier to reach.
    If you can get one cheap, then it's not bad. And if you want to use it with the fish eye adapter, then who cares if the corners are soft.

10. NkedFatWhiteGuy

NkedFatWhiteGuy TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Portland, Oregon
    I bought the lens on the Best Buy deal like many others. I have not used it too much yet, but I think it will be just fine with the wide angle and fish eye when/if I add those.

I had big plans for using this lens but I started using the 20 mm all or the time instead. I think I will start to concentrate on using the 16mm for a bit and see if I can fall in love with its strengths and it's character.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

11. MizOre

MizOre TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2014
    Nicaragua
    I got a used one cheap in Managua at the Sony Store. Seems to do well enough for web site posting.

[​IMG][/url]StreetSceneSewerWork by rbb_56, on Flickr[/IMG]

• Like Like x 1