SEL10-18 f4 OSS with NEX-7 (Sample Shots)

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Mirrorless, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Mirrorless

Mirrorless TalkEmount Rookie

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    Hello everyone, new guy here! I have been enjoying the information and contribution on this forum and think maybe I can give back a little by providing some shots of the SEL1018 f4 OSS with the NEX-7. I did a few shots with the lens briefly and hope these sample will give you some idea with what the lens is like. I shot as if how I would use this lens how I normally would do.

All shots are process in LR4 with default sharpening. Added some clarity and contrast. Some corrected with CA tool. I found I have to adjust the shadow hue to -5 in Camera Calibration tool to the to correct for magenta shift from RAW(DNG) to match the jpg output from the camera. It shouldn't be needed (hopefully) when a lens profile is available from Adobe. :confused: (therefore no lens profile correction)

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8220720999/" title="Lantern by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8220720999_64ab1a5378. "500" height="333" alt="Lantern"></a>

Close shoot of the flower@f4
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8221835688/" title="Orchid by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8221835688_59c0457e74. "333" height="500" alt="Orchid "></a>

18 mm@ƒ/8
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8221836452/" title="DSC02701 by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8221836452_924e380549. "500" height="333" alt="DSC02701"></a>

16 mm@ƒ/5.6
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8221837056/" title="DSC02710 by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8221837056_ac47110de9. "500" height="333" alt="DSC02710"></a>

10mm@ƒ/8
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8220759525/" title="DSC02702 by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8220759525_d5a583674c. "500" height="333" alt="DSC02702"></a>

16 mm@ƒ/13 (sun star?)
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8220760331/" title="DSC02718 by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8220760331_c36192c875. "500" height="333" alt="DSC02718"></a>

10 mm@f/13
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/afly_yyc/8220760089/" title="DSC02728 by mirrorless_1der, on Flickr"> 8220760089_935be42cc9. "500" height="333" alt="DSC02728"></a>

The handling of the lens is very nice in general. It felt well balance on the NEX. I found there is a bit of vignette problem in the corners and feels like I had to shoot from +0.3 to +0.7 EV to get the exposure I wanted. However focusing on the NEX-7 was pretty fast actually and very quiet. The only negative so far personally is the magenta corners when working with raw/dng in lightroom, since I found out of camera jpg is lacking a bit of punch!? :rolleyes: I haven't shoot enough to know what this lens can really do, but the lens is pretty sharp (I found), not as sharp as the CZ 24 1.8 for sure, but the corner to corner performance is very good as far as I can tell. (I do not owned a SWA zoom before so I cannot tell :) )

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Thanks for your thoughts. After all I read and saw it seems to be a nice lens but not stunning for its price.

I actually wanted to buy it (and still would after seeing the results) until Zeiss announced the 12mm 2.8. I simply need the faster aperture for night landscapes (without star trails of course) and I guess I also love primes too much ... The price shouldn't be that different after all.

3. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Really nice photos, mirrorless! Thanks for sharing about the SEL10-18... and oh, welcome btw... :)

4. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Lovely.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    First off welcome to the board. Secondly thanks for posting these pics. And now I wonder if this lens will color shift/vignette on my 5N like it appears to on the 7.

Well, somebody will use it on a 5N before I can afford one, so I don't have to be the guinea pig. ;)

6. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Does it color shift on the NEX-7? Havn't seen any bad CAs anywhere till now. Vignetting will be the same on the 5n. Seems quite bad at 10mm, but I think the light in this scene strenghtens the visible vignetting.

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Right side on the 10mm/f8 shot looks like color shift to me, especially on the larger size pic. The OP stated he had to correct for it in RAW. And CA is different than color shift. This lens does have CA according to the review on LL. Nothing that's a deal breaker, but for almost $900 I'd rather not have to correct color shift. I'll do it, but I'd rather not have to. UWA CA is just a sad fact of life. ;)

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico

wow 900 bucks for this wide angle give you highly detailed, super wide angle photos, I was able to mounted on my nex 7 last Black Friday and try a few shoot and like it too much, but the price not . with a constant maximum apñerture in F/ 4 through the entire focal length range so you will be can to use the widest aperture at every focal length, the good thing is even in low light conditions , you can take advantage of the bright aperture to use fast shutter speeds without needing to increase ISO sensitivity also, have OSS making it easier to achieve crisp, blur-free images and video.

But this lens looks great but is very expensive, Carl Zeiss has a 12mm F2.8 (Macro), but knowing the high quality of his lenses, the prices will be on par.

Thanks for posting these characteristics about this lens , Mirrorless, and welcome to the team, we hope more pictures.

9. Mirrorless

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    Thanks everyone! :)

Poki - you are is right, the scene did led itself to actuate the dark corners. When shooting a bright scene with some +ve exposure bias, it doesn't look that strong straight out of the camera. I think I make it looks worst by coming from raw and did not correct for the vignette.

I was having with the same problem with my Voigtlander 12mm f5.6 and had even worst magenta shift.(and not as sharp as this) 5n apparently works with Voigtlander pretty well, I am guessing this will be the same for 3/5/6.

Perhaps this will be an on going issue with the ultra wide angle lens for current generation of 24MP sensor as all the NEX shares the E mount. Its always going to be a software fix until the next 7/8? It might not be as bad when Adobe release the len profile for the 10-18 and the correction becomes automatic. Hopefully Sony will improve the firmware to improve on this as well.

Just found a review from luminous Landscape

This lens is expensive for sure, I was serious considering the Carl Zeiss 12mm f2.8 as well but I just throw my name on the waiting list to try this out. As I usually do not shoot wide open for landscape shoot, but am glad this lens is still pretty sharp wide open even to the corners. 10-18 do give one some options when you cannot go further forward or backward. Ultra-wide is addictive.

To be honest, this lens is sharper than my old Nikon AF-S 17-35 f2.8 on my D300... and that lens cost x2 as much... :p

10. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1

Oh yesss indeed!!! :)

11. Bill

Bill TalkEmount Veteran

Oct 22, 2012
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill
    I picked up my 10-18 yesterday. I just won't have an opportuntity to get out with it for a couple of more days. I'm hoping that the colour cast problems at the wide end on a 7 are slight. (Thank God for Lightroom.)

12. Mirrorless

Jul 11, 2012
    Ambrose
    Bill - here is a pair of image on the wide end(10mm).
    I used corner-fix to run process the dng and you can see the comparison output here.
    DSC02724. DSC02724_CF.
    DSC02728. DSC02728_CF.
    The right one was the output from cornerfix. I created a profile for each focal length (10/12/14/16/18 @f8)
    The magenta shift and the vignette was cleaned up quite nicely without affecting the details.

The vignette/color shift on each focal length is slightly different, so it is safer to create one profile per focal length.

I personal don't mind the vignette too much for the above shot but magenta not so much :p

13. meicw

meicw New to TalkEmount

Oct 3, 2012
    J bought my 10-18 yesterday and took a few shots with the NEX7. On my copy I don't find the vignetting to be too bad at 10mm, and in the shots that I took I can't see any magenta shift. From my afternoon walkabout I quite liked the lens. There is some distortion, but no more than I expected from such a UWA lens. If the camera is level, even the human figures on the edges are a lot less distorted than I have seen on other UWA's that I have used. I have made a 10-18 first shots album on my flickr page.