1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Sel 55-210

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by chrid, May 5, 2014.

1. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
  2. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    If indoor you will struggle with this lens without some bounce flash. Outdoor it's a really good bit of kit. Seems a decent price as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    You can't beat it for that price!

I own this lens, and I wasn't upset about paying close to double that at the time. I mostly use it for wildlife type stuff, will suit your outdoor/sports needs well.

The only autofocus alternatives are a lot more expensive. You can get the big pricy lenses with longer zoom ranges, or the big sony alpha mount lenses with adapter.

4. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Is it a reliable website? This deal sounds to good to be true. I've never seen such a discount on this lens. What's the trick? I really want to get this lens as well but I'm afraid it's like the chinese commercial website. You pay, and you have to struggle to get back your money because you never get your product in the end. I know some people in this case with miniinthebox.com.
    Have ordered yet on this website without problems?

5. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    The trick is, it wont be Australian stock. It will be a "grey market import" that Sony intended to be sold somewhere like Thailand or Hong Kong.

So if you take it to a Sony dealer, because it's broken and should be replaced under warranty, they probably won't help.

That's why they offer a "Kogan Warranty".

• Like Like x 1
  6. southy

southy TalkEmount Veteran

Feb 5, 2014
    Australia
    Kogan is a legit site here in Aus although I haven't personally ordered from them. It seems the 55-210 is being discounted. I got mine here http://www.binglee.com.au/sony-sel55210-55-210mm-zoom-lens for $199 with $5 shipping after being put onto this deal by Pav here on Talkemount. For the record Bing Lee are not just a website but here in NSW a major electronics chain with some 40 or so shop fronts across the state.

7. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Well, sounds pretty risky to me, it's still almost $200...

8. jai

Feb 4, 2013
    Kogan is a real thing, it's not some scam site.

Started by a guy called Kogan, famous for getting into publicity fights with Harvey Norman on the news.

You will get a real, Sony lens. It just won't be covered by Sony Australia for the warranty.

• Like Like x 1
  9. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Wow thanks for the speedy replies! Yes I know the lens is slow but my brothers comp is a big one so its outdoors, probably if the lens was normal price I wouldn't get it, but at the discount it seems like a bargain so I ordered one. And yes kogan has a good reputation here in oz, or at least what I have heard of it

10. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Oh ok, I live in France so I don't know Kogan... Makes me hesitate... It's a great bargain!

11. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Great price, I say go for it.
    Unless your only goal is low light sports shooting, this lens is very nice, not the most detailed but surely good. I like mine! :)

12. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Do you have a LA-EA2 ? If so an alternative may be one of the older Minolta AF zooms. I just got a 70-210/4 Beercan from KEH for $99 + postage. It's very fast focusing (as long as it doesn't hunt...). It is a bit of a challenge using a large heavy lens without OSS, but in your situation (sports = tracking moving subjects) OSS is of little help anyway. Also it's a faster lens, 55-210 is f6.3 at the long end, while 70-210 is about f4.5 once you account for a bit of light LA-EA2 "eats up".

There are lighter lenses too, I believe 100-300 APO was supposed to be very good optically and smaller than 70-210, I only went for the Beercan because I need the range.

13. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately I don't have any adapters yet, though my om to nex adapter is in the mail and I cant wait

14. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    change of heart

:hide:well in the end I cancelled my order after buying all this junk at a garage sale, sorry for the time wasting

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Kevin
    Nice. Now you'll just need some adapters from china. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  16. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    Finally got my om-nex adapter on Friday, results seem promising even with the zooms though they have to be stopped down a bit, just need a k mount adapter now, though I have no idea what mount the paragon 400mm f6.3 is (edit: I think its a T-2 mount). Just took this with the tokina 35-105 f3.5-4.3 in its macro mode at f8.

Attached Files:

17. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    I wish the local garage sales near me were as promising... Good find

Scribed henceforth from thy G pad.

18. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    australia
    Chris
    it was a good find though most of the bodies are DOA, only the om10 seems fully functional (and I already had one of those heh), the pentax fires but I think the light meter is dead. the richo and the yashica seem 6 feet under:sad010: