1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SEL 50/1.8 and a few legacies, including Pentax K55/1.8

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by nianys, Dec 7, 2012.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I received the SEL 50/1.8 from Amazon today. For info I think their 246€ price is pretty good, free shipping and 30 day free return window. Nice.
    The lens is sleek, very light (incredible how using this instead of a metal built legacy ligthens up the whoel package). My first reaction to the AF performane (tested tonight indoors in low light, so it should be much improved in daylight) was surprisingly positive. It snapped in focus pretty quickly. Unfortunately, that was short lived. There was much hunting involved, and at no time was able to keep up with my excited kid.
    Optical quality is absolutely excellent. Great sharpness, smooth bokeh, good color saturation and contrast.

a756a5c508681caca0b207381a4e5f57_137.
    Real life sample..

Now, a Barbie doll test, with a few lenses. First, the SEL again :
    26ead60879185e786b881ad144439972_456.

The Pentax 55/1.8 :
    e547bc48d7fdc8c15b6e5773df8e8ecc_456.

For the record and comparison, my most used lens, the Rokkor MC 50/1.4, here at F2 :
    f083dd4d0aa478719721b9909289875d_456.

And a little unexpected guest to the party :
    ddf634a16e9abe0f2ae0654f71d53ef8_456.
    Canon FL 85/1.8 !!

So, how do I like the SEL ? Optically there is nothing to flaw. I'm sure in good light it's capable enough for AF. Is it an exciting lens (for me), one I feel like loving or using ?? Err... Having used MF exclusively for 3 months now I miss this part of the process, and AF is not fast or reliable enough to compensate for that.
    It's pretty likely to go back unless I suddenly fall in love with it in the next days.

2. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    :eek:

Hey! that's the lens I've been drooling of!!

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Yep...I keep thinking an 85/1.8 would be a nice lens to have on the NEX. I've had my eyes on the Hexanon 85 for a long time.

4. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Not to make you guys cry I won't tell you how much I grabbed it for ;)

5. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    I always like your comparisons - TFS! :)

I have a couple of native e-mount lenses (SEL24 & Sigma 30). I like them for what they have to offer (mainly: awesome performance in a very small & light form - oh, right, and AF...) but I'm not especially fond of the whole focus-by-wire deal. If I were adequately zealous about the nifty-fifty range, I could see the stabilization being nice to have in the SEL50 and I'm glad to see it compares so well optically.

I think you might really be in your element with that 85mm! (Something about those longer lenses for subject isolation...)

I may be all fiftied out for the moment. Except since I have the Leica-R adapter, those nifties are almost within my reach. (If they're anything like the 35mm Summicron, wide open performance would be like nothing else...) Oh, and then there's that Zeiss fast macro. Not to mention the e-mount 50mm macro they're putting out next summer...

I need help, don't I? ;)

6. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    Hey Nianys, thnks for the comparison of these lenses,very good, I'm still interested in this AF 50mm f1.8 lens, ( I can see in those samples) the rokkor f1.4 works very well, although I do not know yet,what to do, but it would be ideal for street shooting :), I like the the sharpness,the smooth bokeh and contrast.

I will put on sale a few manual lenses and maybe Santa will bring me for Christmas, I hope.
    By the way my M42 adapter is returned to China, hell the seller send it to the wrong zip code, so now have to wait another 2 weeks, but I'm despair :).

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    That canon 85 looks fantastic. I bought the SEL 50 when I first got my 5n and , like you, Nianys, decided to send it back, although it's performance was stellar. I would have liked to try it on the 7 with the added resolution :)

8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    The Sony 50mm clearly is the better performer, it's the only one that shows 2 lenses behind the doll.

9. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Nice review!
    This is exactly my conclusion with the 50 too. Now I have the Sigma 19 as my AF lens, I may even sell this before the 32 and 35 come out (which to me are much more useful AF lengths)

10. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    I do think the SEL is brilliant optically, however I couldn't say it's *very* superior to the legacies. If you add a tad of contrast (where older lenses always tend to lack a bit, except the Canons), I'd say the oldies are 98% on par optically speaking.
    I don't know how the SEL would perform for street. AF speed might be an issue, or might not in good light, I don't know.
    All I'm saying is that over three months making MF part of my shooting process, NOT having to focus feels a bit weird, something's missing. The SEL is sleek and modern looking and totally devoid of handling joy, so I'm likely to stick with the legacies instead..,

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Yeah I find focus-by-wire vastly inferior to mechanical manual focus. Sure it has a finer adjustment but if I need to swing quickly to my 2-year-old niece running around, it's physically impossible for me to keep up.

Then between my 50/1.8 and 55/1.2 of course I'm going to keep the 1.2, so much better in every way, lacks OSS and AF but I don't even use them so...

12. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    Jeff
    "Totally devoid of handling joy" - brilliantly put! :)

13. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    That will send shivers down the spine of Sony's lens designers, lol!

(I can just hear it... " hey, did we scrap those Minolta MF lens machines?!! We better re-run those and make more old-school legacies!") :eek:

14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    lol jojojo I can hear you, you're always in a good mood. :D

15. Tand

Tand New to TalkEmount

Jan 21, 2013
    Hi,

Still learning about camera's and leses and fls.This lens is interesting because i am looking for a good prime lense thats also good indoors and with lowlight.

I mean this lens has the same as a legacy like Olympus OM 50 1.8? But is it's lowlight capability much better because of the build in OSS?