SEL 35f18 vs Sigma 30mm f2.8 ?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by d3xophen, Jun 23, 2014.

1. d3xophen

d3xophen TalkEmount Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    Which one Should I Choose after I got sel50f18.?
    sel 35f18 or sigma 30mm f2.8
    How about Image quality ?
    Though they have very similar focal length (35mm and 30mm), they have different aperture.
    Will difference between 1.8 or 2.8 make difference DOF?
  2. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
  3. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    Image quality is going to be a toss up if sharpness is your main concern. I've owned both lenses and kept the 35mm. You will get a wider view with the 30mm but not enough to make much of a difference.

I kept the 35mm for the better low light performance, flare resistance, OSS and silent for video, and in camera corrections. It also has a 49mm filter thread which makes it less of a pain since your 50mm will have the same size. It also focuses faster on my 5N.
  4. Hawkman

Hawkman TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 10, 2013
    Virginia, USA
    This is a question many of us have or have had, I'm sure. These two lenses seem to consistently come out at or near the top in the ratings for sharp APS-C E-mount native lenses from what I've seen.

From what most have said, here and elsewhere, while the SEL35F18 has an advantage in low light and image stabilization (especially useful for video), it is also twice the price of Sigma. The Sigma seems to get universally great ratings for its sharpness, and at its price point it is almost a "no brainer".

If you can only have one and not the other, I suppose it does come down to whether the low light and OSS of the SEL35 is worth the premium over the Sigma 30.

Unfortunately, for me, my budget at the moment permits neither (a broken dishwasher requiring replacement has ensured that), but the Sigma 30mm at its current discount to US$169, has had me drooling for the last couple weeks. ;)
  5. jai

jai TalkEmount Top Veteran

Feb 4, 2013
    I am a big fan of the Sony 35mm F1.8. It's the only native E mount lens I use these days.

I do think there is quite a noticeable difference between F1.8 and a F2.8, especially if you want to use it at night.

It's a great size too.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Its hard to beat the price on the Sigma's.

As mentioned the biggest concern would be if you need the extra F-stop. If not the Sigma is a great lens.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I was in the OP exact shoes when it came to purchasing mine.
    I did a lot of research and went with the SEL35F18 due to the f/1.8, fast AF and OSS.
    Indication that the OSS is not "required" in the 35mm range, but it sure doesn't hurt having it! ;)

I bought mine used on eBay in new condition for $ is my most expensive lens (I paid for so far) to date.

It's well worth it! :2thumbs:
    • Like Like x 2
  8. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    I picked up the Sigma 30mm when they had the 19mm + 30mm for $200 deal. I also have the Sony SEL 35mm 1.8.

I can't remember the last time I used the Sigma 30mm.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. d3xophen

d3xophen TalkEmount Regular

Apr 24, 2014
    According to your all supported advice, I will definitely choose 35mm.
  10. Edward Neal

Edward Neal New to TalkEmount

Dec 28, 2013
    the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 has been my everyday lens since the day it came out, I was actually one of the first to get it.

just this last week I replaced it - no I didn't get the sony 35, I got the Carl Zeiss Touit 32mm f/1.8

highly recommended - over the years I have owned some very expensive glass and only a few have had that something special

this lens is one of them

the day I brought the lens home I put it on my nex-7 and walked outside where my wife and grandkids were playing - my granddaughter jumped into a bush and yelled "look grandpa, I'm a flower" - this is literally the first test shot I took with the tout

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  11. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    I have the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 along with 60 and 19. I am sure the E 35mm f/1.8 is wonderful. But for price conscious and if your budget is tight, the Sigma 30 is the best low cost and value E mount lens that I have. I use it quite often in wide open shooting and close up

And I used it quite often on my Sony A7 in a pinch in FF mode. With the rear baffle removed, a quick vignette adjustment on LR5.4 will make this like a FF lens. I am sure the E 35mm f/1.8 will do better in low light situation but this $150, the older version of this lens, never fails to please me.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
  12. Hin Man

Hin Man TalkEmount Regular

Jan 18, 2013
    I like to suggest that if you have the fund now and that you only want one lens, get the E 35mm f/1.8. When fund allows, the E 35mm f/1.8 is top on my list. The Sony has better bokeh and likely better color balance.

The strength in the Sigma lie on reliable sharpness. I can shoot in darkness with f/2.8 and I don't encounter AF difficulty. Maybe I have higher tolerance on slower AF. I used it on my nex 5N and occasionally Sony A7

Go 49ers!
    iso 3200

iso 1600

The Surreal Traveller

1/4 SPAN
    I like the circular ringed lights on the background

Juan Marichal
    like the flare on this one

And with the rear baffle removed and some work in post processing, the Sigma can be used surprisingly on full frame. I don't recommend using Sigma on A7/r/s but in a pinch and due to lack of AF lenses, I use them occasionally

Sigma 30, the older version with a vented lens hood for 46mm, plenty available on ebay
    Note the flowery rounded blades. The Sigma give circular ringed bokeh lightings in most shooting, very pleasing and not distracting type
    Shot with 60 on nex 5N

How the 60 look in A7
    shot with Sigma 30 on 5N

Shot with Sigma 30 on A7
    Minor editing on LR5.4 to address vignette corners
    Check out the bokeh from Sigma 30 on the background

How I use Sigma 30/60/19 on Sony A7

• rear baffle removed
    • FF non-crop mode on A7
    • Lens Vignette corner adjustment on LR5.4
    • Out of the three Sigma, least vignette happen with 30 followed by 60 and then 19 when used in non-crop mode in A7/r/s

I used to use Clear Image Zoom with 1.2x but it is Jpg only and AF always come with a green rectangle and I have to fine tune in DMF mode. My recent attempts do without Clear Image Zoom and rely on LR5.4 that has lens profile for vignette corner correction.

Also noted another minor point: Bokeh is not bad on Sigma, not as bad as people repeatedly mention.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6