SEL 16 vs SEL 1855 for landscapes

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by alaios, Jul 8, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    I would like to take some landscapes shots and I have both SEL 16 and the SEL 1855. I wanted to ask if I should stay to the SEL 1855 for land scapes as SEL16 has very low shparness at the corners of the frame.

What do you think?
  2. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    Well 18 is certainly not 16mm but if you stop down, the 16mm is not too bad. I have both so I will do my best to take some samples for you. :)
  3. stephen431

stephen431 TalkEmount Regular

May 2, 2014
    If you're doing landscapes, you're probably going to be stopping down which will help that corner sharpness on the SEL16.
    Try using the 16.
    My take is that most landscape shots don't have much going on in the corners anyway. Usually sky and/or clouds up top and usually water, grass or dirt in the foreground corners.
    I've also taken to stitching my landscapes if they're static (e.g. no moving water), and then I trim off the corners. The pancake lenses are nice for shooting focus stacks handheld, especially if you have the bracket-pro app.
  4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Depends on what you are shooting and at what distance. Are there items of interest in the foreground that need to be sharp and not smeared? Are you going to stitch shots to make a panorama or larger palette for the shot? Two millimeters on the wide end may not make any difference for the scene, but it may be critical to getting the shot without a stitch.

I have shot landscapes with everything from a fisheye to a 200mm (on aps-c sensor) and everything in-between.

Since you have both lenses and the 16 is so small- take and use them both, compare the shots on the computer at home and decide then which lens you want/need to take next time. You may find you end up taking them both all the time. ;)
  5. dragion

dragion TalkEmount Top Veteran

May 8, 2014
    Boston, MA
    I personally don't own either of the 16mm or the 18-55mm.
    If it was me, I would go with the 16mm and stop down to around f/8 or f/11 for landscapes...pretty much the softness at the corners should be better.

Have you considered the UWA lens converter?
    With the VCL-ECU1 converter the 16mm will be you even more of a wider view.
    I've read that the results are pretty good.

I have the 20mm & UWA converter, but haven't really spent any time with this combo.

Let us know what you end up deciding on :)