Seems Fuji just managed fast AF... Oops, NEX killer ??

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Jan 8, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Fuji's IQ has always been extremely good, even as early as with their very first DSLR, the S1 Pro (which I had the joy to own). The weak link in the current, widely praised X models, was the slooow AF (way worse than NEX, it seems). Now apparently Fuji has finally broken the enigma of very fast AF on its newly announced models, the X100s also offering split prism manual focus mode and peaking !! Oooohhh, my NEX 7 is shaking in its boots...
  2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Oh damn....Im not even gonna look. Luckily it will be too expensive for me :)
  3. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    If you can't be with the one you love,love the one your with,
    happiness is inside trying to get out and not outside trying to get in
  4. Orange

Orange TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 4, 2013
    It's not Orange!
    Love it fella, great quote! ;)
  5. RalllyFan

RalllyFan TalkEmount Regular

Dec 2, 2012
    Now, if they could drop that technology in the XE-1, I'd be in. Nah, who am I kidding...I'm still holding out for a full frame mirrorless. I want my 35's and 50's to be 35's and 50's again.

Interesting to see an estimated US price of $1,699. Seems a bit steep considering you can get the XE-1 and the amazing 35mm lens for $100 less (granted, currently with slower AF and no peaking).
  6. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Based on my experience with the X10 I could definitely see a X100s or X20 in my future, of course I still like my 5n for using MF glass.
  7. Phoenix

Phoenix TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    Nah, I doubt that it will be a NEX killer. As a Fuji user I can reaffirm that the major chink in Fuji’s armor is their autofocus, everything else is going for them with the exception of their auto focusing mechanics, manual focusing their X series isn’t that useful either, it’s pretty much as useful as setting your own house on fire. However after using the 5 and 7 then changing to the XP1 imho the ethos of using these tools are about as different as the design they entail.

The NEX has been dubbed as a ‘DSLR’ killer when it was announced as most of its functions and the way it operates is more akin to a DSLR, the WYSIWYG view, the 100% coverage, FPS, and excellent video. It’s a camera you’ll happily take to a sports event and take fast action shots using a zoom lens, This can even be seen by Sony’s lens offerings which consists of a number of zoom lenses and only a handful of primes.

The Fuji X on the other hand has always been compared to the Leica M, this can’t be helped as this is what the X series emulates (which is a bit uncalled for imo as Fuji is a respected rangefinder maker in its own right, the Hasselblad X-Pan was made by Fuji as well as the “Texas Leicas” made by Fuji during the 60’s and 70’s). The viewfinder with frame lines for composition that doesn’t have 100% coverage is something akin to a rangefinder camera as you can see what’s coming into your shot in which you can press the shutter release for that ‘decisive moment’…...the problem is when that decisive moment comes the camera is slow to focus making you miss that ‘decisive moment’ (I think this is the paradox of the Fuji X series). Other features such as mediocre video, limited FPS (6), and only a handful of features and functions does make it more comparable to a Leica M (and though no longer in production the Epson RD-1). It’s a camera that you’ll have to slow down your work process, think about your shots, get up close and personal then take a limited amount. It’s a camera more at home with street photography, again this can be seen by Fuji’s lens offerings which consists primarily of fast primes and for the time being just one zoom.

I see Fuji’s new camera releases taking aim at the guardians of Rangefinder snobbery where their firm response is “it’s not a rangefinder as it doesn’t have a rangefinder focusing system hence the absence of the focusing patch”, which is fair enough, Fuji has responded with a snappy phase detection AF, focus peaking, zoom focusing, and the split image focus (which imo is really a pot shot at the rangefinder focusing patch system), so that’s ways 4 focus as compared to 1 .

The NEX series however is a another kettle of fish entirely, especially with the planned release of the FF model, if ever I would think DSLR makers such as Nikon and Canon should keep their eyes open as this would be really a DSLR killer.

Just my 2 cents
  8. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I'll keep my NEX, thank you very much.
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    And if you notice,
    They (Fuji) also have some very fast lenses - even their kit 18-55 is an ƒ2.8 - 4.0

I'm definitely looking forward to the "XPro-2 & XE-2" which ***should*** have the x100s speed improvements incorporated. :cool:
  10. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    X Pro 2, my wallet is running to the hills.
  11. Jefenator

Jefenator TalkEmount Top Veteran

Nov 23, 2012
    Oregon, USA
    It'll have to be something really awesome to get me to buy a whole new set of adapters!

Of course, Fuji would be the one to do it.

All the while CaNikon slumbers.

Is that a Haiku? (I guess not - too many syllables...)
  12. OdzBodkinz

OdzBodkinz TalkEmount Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Nudge me awake when there is a workable Adobe workflow. Otherwise, pass....
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 9, 2011
    Beware to wake up the sleeping giants
    He who laughs last laughs best
    I don't hear a fat lady singing yet

Just saying :)
  14. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    I started saving something to buy the XE1, my friend Tom bought it a couple of weeks ago and he lent it to me for a few minutes, just a few minutes and I loved the retro style, the AF is a little better, so now I'm looking more reviews the x100.

Somebody wants to buy one nex7 and nex5r?
  15. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    For me, the retro shutter speed dial on the fuji seems a bit form-over-function. How many of you change shutter speed more often than ISO? Especially on a camera mainly not for sports/action. OTOH, I like the aperture ring on the lens idea.
  16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Me, lol. For manual flash I do a lot of S mode shooting, and do change the shutter speed more often than the ISO. Other than that I agree with you, there's a lot of deliberate (and IMO overdone) retro scheme going on, but for me once they cure the AF AND offer peaking, they're unstoppable. I don't shoot RAW so I don't care ;)
  17. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Isn't the X100s a fixed lens camera (not interchangable lens)?
    Personally, I would never trade even my humble 1st gen Nex-5 for a fixed lens one...
  18. Grisu_HDH

Grisu_HDH TalkEmount Veteran

Dec 16, 2012
    Southern Germany
    To call the bible...
    "I'm your camery, your NEX, you should not have any camera beside me..."
    Just kidding!!! :rolleyes:

I'm happy that I made the NEX decision and I can't afford to change to a complete new lens system or series in the near future...
  19. Phoenix

Aug 25, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    Phoenix Gonzales
    I tend to shoot in M mode when I'm out and about, for no other reason other than wanting more control and use Shutter Priority or Sunny 16 when I'm feeling lazy.

In regards to the retro design, I believe that companies revive and/or digitise past camera models and/or functions based on the popularity of the camera or the function by following a tried and tested formula e.g. Focus peaking that was developed by Canon but is fully utilised by Sony, the Olympus OM-D that was designed with the original OM in mind, the Fuji XP-1 that was designed with the Fuji GW 690 in mind and why the Leica M models have always retained it's shape. This is also probably a good indication why DSLRs have always looked the same since it's inception.

It can even be said that even the NEX-7 is retro designed and was fashioned after the Dimage by Konica Minolta (who was bought out by Sony)

20. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    Yes the X100 is 35ml equivalent, but once they've mastered the fast AF that will migrate to the interchangeable models. THEN I want one !!!