Seeking recommendations for telephoto lens options for Nex-6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by Storm420, Sep 11, 2013.

1. Storm420

Storm420 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Reading up on telephoto lens'. New to photography. Need advice please. Lens will be for taking nature shots mostly, be it landscape, moon & stars or critters...sometimes people in action and non-action shots. Need stability control for when the tripod isn't an option. Have an Nex-6. Any suggestions?
  2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    In E-mount your choices are: the SEL18200 or the SEL55210. If you want to go with the LA-EA2 adapter then you get several A-mount options I'm not familiar with. The options increase rapidly if you're willing to manual focus and can give up stabilization.
  3. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Yep, these are the only stabilized options. Handheld I can otherwise only recommend the 70-200 2.8 lenses because they are fast enough to use without stabilization, with the Sony Zeiss version you even get autofocus with the LA-EA2.
  4. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    I use a Rokkor 300mm 4.5 and even use it handheld but you need good light to keep fast shutter speeds if you are hand a beast :D
    The SEL55210 is great and with the 1.7 TC (discontinued by Sony sadly) is very long.
  5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    After some practice, and especially after getting an EVF for F3, I have been using 70-210/4 handheld in decent light without many issues.

A high quality legacy tele with a high quality TC can be a good inexpensive option if you don't mind MF. I have shot quite a few photos during the recent trip to Michigan's Upper Peninsula with MD 70-210 mounted to 2x TC, and it was a better experience than I expected. There's definite loss of contrast, but it is one of these things that are relatively easy to fix in PP.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    Let me second that suggestion. I just picked up a Sony 1.7 TC to go with my 55-210, and though I've only shot a few frames with it so far, what I've seen is pretty impressive. Hand-held at full zoom (equivalent to 535mm) I got some razor sharp AF images with almost no CA. I'm looking forward to giving it a good test out at the Klamath Wildlife Refuge this winter.
  7. Storm420

Storm420 TalkEmount Regular

Sep 9, 2013
    Very helpful comments! Thank you. In my research, stumbled across the SAL70300G. Thoughts regarding this lens as well?