1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Seeking Feedback

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by WestOkid, Feb 28, 2014.

1. WestOkid

WestOkid TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    I am a new member to this forum and the world of photography(about 6 months). In October, I bought a Nikon 1 for better pictures on vacation. One thing lead to another and I got hooked. I bought a NEX 5T last month. Now I read everything, Join forums, post pictures, and buy lots of stuff. But how do I know what I do well and where I need to improve? I love my family, but if I listen to them, I'll quite my job and apply for National Geographic. Right now I am just trying things out all the time. Would it be OK to ask people to check out my flicker page since it's not all NEX stuff? Not sure if that's cool or not.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/garywalters/

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Welcome. Love to have ya. Some great shots.

This is the NEX forum. We focus on the NEX/A7 platform here.

This forum is part of a larger family. You might want to join "Serious Compacts" as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Thanks. I will checkout "Serious Compacts." I must say, the people on this forum are the nicest I have encountered.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I think you've got some great shots on your Flickr page, Gary. But it's kind of hard to offer any sort of worthwhile feedback when there's such an eclectic mix of images there. Maybe it would be helpful if you started a new thread after doing a shoot of a single subject, and ask for feedback about two or three of what you consider the best images from that shoot. In any case, all I can tell you is that I certainly wasn't capable of the kind of work I saw on your Flickr page after only six months of shooting.

But then, I was only eight years old at the time. :p

• Like Like x 1
  5. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    We try and keep it that way.

It's ok to have disagreements, but no reason to be disagreeable.

• Like Like x 1
  6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    There are some amazing photos on your Flickr album Gary!!!
    I wouldn't believe these were shot from a person only 6 months into photography if you haven't told me...

• Like Like x 1
  7. José De Bardi

José De Bardi Assistant in Virtue

Aug 31, 2013
    Dorset, UK
    José
    I am by no means an expert, but at first glance you seem to have 'the right stuff' when it comes to photography.
    As mentioned, it's hard to give useful feedback of such a varied set.
    I also always think that while there are all the documented 'rules' on how to take a great photo, you don't have to follow them, there are some fantastic shots that break all the rules and equally some rather dull ones that follow them out there in the world!
    Your flickr page made me smile, and also a little green eyed given you have some shots I'm not sure after 4 yrs of photography I would have the patience and skill to capture - there wasn't one shot that I thought 'oh, I would have done that differently' but then there will be others that will have had that thought, but it could just be a personal preference thing rather than a 'problem' as such!

Keep doing what you do, and (as I do), post your favourites up here (from your Nex) as you go asking for some feedback - you'll get some great tips, some you'll use and be kicking yourself for not realising yourself already, some you'll think 'oh, I'm not sure I like that idea!'.

Anyway, thanks for making my morning one filled with lovely photos!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  8. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    Looked at your Flickr site. You have a photographic vision, no doubt in my mind. A lot of your pictures clearly bear signs of experimentation and some work for me, some don't (personal opinion, who am I after all). To me there's nothing wrong with eclecticity (if that's a word :)) but your presentation will be much stronger if you limit yourself brutally to showing only the very best pictures. I myself tend to present just one picture in a thread, it forces you to really think about if the picture's really worth it and if it's strong enough to stand on its own. If you have a coherent series, of course you show it as a whole. No hard rules in photography if you ask me.

As you asked for feedback, I've picked a photo I really like and took the liberty of linking to it.

<iframe src="http://www.flickr.com/photos/garywalters/12787072794/in/photostream/player/" width="1000" height="617" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

The composition attracted me instantly, simple foreground, sky and detailed and contrasty background that adds to the picture by showing houses as well in a different perspective (further out). I'm a sucker for appropriate B&W and fully support the choice here. I'm not sure about the grain, I'd try taking it back a little or eliminate it altogether; seeing that it's shot at ISO 400 the noise can hardly have come from the camera and focal length and aperture suggest that everything will be sharp, so the picture can show a lot of detail. But hey, that's me, I like detail :). I'd also try to enhance contrast in the foreground house, the contrast here is lower than in the background where light and shadow make for a punchy image. And I'd straighten it, I like the horizon and the house level, the slanted view here detracts from the picture. Most people object to horizons in the middle of the frame, I'm not that sensitive to it, but if there's room left in the original to crop differently I'd experiment to move the horizon up or down.

And please, show your work here directly, I wouldn't want to miss a picture like the one above!

• Like Like x 1
  9. WestOkid

Jan 25, 2014
    New Jersey, USA
    Gary
    Wow. This is exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate all this insightful advice. Thanks for taking the time to look. I know I have an eclectic mix. I'm not sure if that's who I will be or who I am right now. Everything is fun because it's new. That said, the common theme seems to be I need more focus. Being a family guy with young kids, my shoots have essentially been their events. Otherwise it's just random stuff I can sneak into the day.
    Looks like I need to make time for my hubby. I'll pick a topic, shoot, and share.
    Thanks again.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk