Second time around with the NEX 7

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by nianys, Feb 13, 2013.

1. nianys

nianys TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    So, it's here. My second NEX 7 unit. This particular sample has been bought in Singapour and taken on a world tour by the original owner, who, if I am to trust the camera settings when I got it, had the 18-55, 16/2.8 kit and never went out of iAuto (?!?) ...
    Anyway for a world tourer the camera is in pretty lovely condition, and functions perfectly (strong Peaking and all). After a couple of weeks without the 7, it feels nice and comfortable to hold one again.
    To my fortune, I've discovered that everything the (slightly finicky) thumbwheel does, the top wheels do as well, and since they are MUCH nicer to operate, that's a welcome discovery.
    I'm pairing the 7 with the SEL35 and they make a pretty capable team.

Here are a few random shots from today :

857d648bf050596d986107d11aedfe98_074.

3344f343bbebe00778b560069c578eac_8d7.
    This one is from the PEN F. Despite having the SEL I still enjoy using it

13b86331e8dc1c74e284d47dab3b9e4d_8d7.
    The Tuesday night Big Sleep. Every Tuesday we "lose" her around 7PM... until about 9AM the next day. That's her way to make up for the hectic rythm of the week...

25aa2e6a838c77577b756de9078ba179_074.
    Dobermanns have strange ways to sleep, usually curved around themselves

b6f9e115a6bdd0a03cf1fd29d5b610c6_074.
    He was a pain today, the kind of way you wish you did NOT have a puppy, lol

7504d3d99aa8781c6f4642ab7c391e70_8d7.
    Experimenting with the AF settings is new to me since I was a full manual focus user before. Face Detection is almost totally useless on this camera...

ff1581aea0a1e5413d5a49b185aac263_074.

786836c4dc4aa4aa7fcca83a7ac1409b_8d7.

48fa7a93e8cf751df5fb776ee9004f7e_074.

I guess now that I'm at peace and comfortable with my camera of choice... Sony can release a NEX 7 successor and get me all lusty again ;)

Attached Files:

2. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Love them all, but the last 2 are especially fab....especially Barbie and Ken. The first one to jump out at me though was the Pen F one! Great stuff ;)

3. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    Sometimes it takes losing something before you realize it's what you were looking for all along. Congrats on reuniting with the NEX 7...:biggrin:

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I swear, sometimes that dogs expressions look almost human.

5. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Oh, our puppy is really great at making me feel guilty when I scold or crate him. He looks like all the misery in the world fell upon him but he's taking it bravely. I hate when he does that, LOL

6. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    I may sound like a broken record here but can't not comment on how excelent those photos are Claire!!! :thumbup:

I'm happy for you re-discovering your Nex love again ;)

I'm a totally different character myself, bonding a lot with my material objects so I'm hoping you stick with that camera for a while, lol :D

7. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Let's say I had to miss it to realize I truly like it ;)

8. dixeyk

dixeyk TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 18, 2012
    Bellingham . WA
    Kevin
    NEX love? So is THAT the love that dare not speak its name?

9. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Eh eh, Nick I rarely bond with gear, and I probably wouldn't have an issue parting with the cam later. I guess the two cameras I "loved" the most were the GX-1 and D700, and bizarrely I have little desire to shoot either now.

10. gio

gio TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 12, 2012
    Manchester, uk
    really nice stuff,good luick with the camera.

ah but only if you had taken the time to learn the camera first time around.

11. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Glad you like it, and yes the 35/1.8 really is something. I am still busy going through something like 2,000 photos I took during the holidays and I already have a couple hundred on the 35/1.8 that I have not even uploaded to my computer *sigh*

12. Skipperjonce

Skipperjonce TalkEmount Regular

Dec 27, 2012
    Norway
    Another enjoyable set, thanks. Looks like Ken and Barbie could do with a little alone time though.

13. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Claire,

Could give us some of your thoughts comparing the 6 to the 7?

I should add that your posts were instrumental in convincing me to try the Nex cameras, first the 7 now the 6.

14. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Yes of course I can easily compare them. Let's get two important things out of the way : PDAF and high ISO noise. In good daylight PDAF of the 6 is a good deal quicker, however in *anything* but bright daylight, I feel the improvement is nil. Regarding high ISO performance I have not experienced the 7 being noisier, then again I shoot strict Jpeg (with NR turned to Low).
    That being said, the dimensions are virtually identical, yet the 7 seems a bit more substantial (metal vs. part plastic ??). Both built in flash units, EVF and LCD screens seem identical. My preference for the 7 boils down essentially to the TriNavi control system, which I find the best approach to NEX to date. There is a button dedicated for focus settings, and you can chose to make it do a lot of things. Since I never use magnification but only peaking, I chose to dedicate it to Autofocus settings, meaning AF area AND AF point selection. That allows me to assign the lower (B) soft key to direct WB setting (by default it moves the AF point around). Direct access to WB via a hard button is crucial for me since I shoot jpeg only. I have my Fn button down to calling only ONE screen, a custom made one where I stuck metering mode, AF mode (S vs C) and Creative Styles on the lateral panel with bottom soft key allowing fine tuning. Since the thumb wheel takes care of the ISO in all configurations, I have DIRECT access to exposure compensation in ALL modes via the right top wheel. This is absolutely crucial to my type of shooting, since thanks to full time exposure preview I never suffer from I'll exposed shots again (number one reason I won't use ANY DSLR anymore unless it's a Sony SLT offering that function).
    This is MY configuration of the 7, but the truly wonderful thing is that they are dozen others, according to anybody's needs ! The 6 was way better then the 5N in accessing controls, but the 7 is miles ahead. I feel that since NEX is already a bit hobbled in performance by the AF system, it needs all the help it can get in other departments.
    For me the 7 is without contest the easiest NEX to use today.
    Ymmv !

15. msullivan

msullivan TalkEmount Regular

Jan 11, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    Thanks. That was very detailed and clear. I note that you do not mention the extra megapixels. Do you find them a benefit or hindrance?

16. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Absolutely neither, to be honest. I tried the M setting (12mp) to see if if would speed up deletion of pics. Nope. So switched back to 24mp. Truth is, I've been content with resolution since DSLRs hit 6mp, felt plentiful with 8, and almost overwhelmed with 12. When my cam reached 16, frankly, I stopped counting. I think the 24 would be a benefit for bouncing the built-in flash (which limits to landscape orientation) and then crop to portrait orientation ?
    Obviously there's no law forcing one to use full res, but you can't create MPs you don't have. When the 7 was released I never thought "Wow, I want those 24mp", but now that I have them, I try to put them to good use.

17. nianys

Aug 23, 2012
    France
    Like this

3ccc63dac727bb419228d9c71396a240_8cb.

Attached Files: