Second hand prices

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by alaios, Dec 6, 2014.

1. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    I was having a look the last days and you can really see nex owners having troubles selling their cameras at a reasonable price.

nex-6, in europe, can be found around 300-350 and nex-7 around 400-450 euros....
    and still you can see that these cameras are not easy sold....
    A6000 puts a lot of pressure in the old bodies already. I am even intrested to see what would happen to the prices after the a7000 hits the market.

What is your take?
  2. Deadbear77

Deadbear77 TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Sep 14, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    You have to plan on little to no resale value on the bodies. All the money lies in the lenses, little loss selling as long as you take care of them.
  3. ztryfe

ztryfe TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2014
    Bodies come and go, as Deadbear mentions, the investment is really at the glass, furthermore with all the chatter about IBIS on future Mirrorless (and not only from Sony), I expect to see a slight bump in the prices when folks that neglected legacy glass due the lack of stabilization, start looking back again.
  4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ

The great thing about lenses is if you get a good deal, you can always resale it with no loss.
  5. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    Sony keeps turning out new bodies and the difference between generations is vast, at the same time the market (the number of Sony mirrorless buyers) is small.

Canon, for example, still uses AFAIK the same sensor in T5i as they did in T2i nearly 5 years ago. So there's less difference between generations pushing the price down on older cameras,it's all bells & whistles. And the market is huge, so the prices hold far better.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Wayneb

Wayneb New to TalkEmount

Nov 27, 2014
    So. California
    Less than two weeks after I bought my a6000, the price dropped $100 and now it is $200 less, so it lost almost 1/3 in a couple of months. The camera was still a good deal for what I paid for it, now it is just a better deal.
  7. SpaceManSpiff

SpaceManSpiff TalkEmount Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    Tucson, AZ
    As long as you are willing to wait, the prices on camera bodies will decrease. Because Sony has a short turn-over between generations --their resale value is on a steeper depreciation curve than others. While they may not be the latest and greatest generation, the older ones are still competent cameras. But how long are you willing to wait to get a better deal? Does the current generation have new features/improvements that you would be willing to pay for?

My NEX-6 has lost so much value since buying it a year ago that I have no intention of selling it when I upgrade to a newer body.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. chrid

chrid Super Noob

May 5, 2014
    I totally agree I paid something near $1000aud for my nex-6 kit, no way would I sell it for a measly $300 or so dollars. But at least I know when I upgrade I will still have my 6 which still performs very well indeed.
  9. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    If you don't need a new body and can wait, that might not be a bad idea to wait for A7000 or what ever the next APS-C E will be. With a price of $448 for a new A6000 body, you are already seeing sub 400 prices used for an A6000 which is an amazing deal. I'm not sure why anyone would even consider a NEX-6 at anything more than $300 these days. I would think most people will end up holding on to their NEX bodies as second bodies if they can afford to do so as the 200-300 in your pocket might not be worth it.
  10. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    I bought my first NEX, the NEX-3 brand new, but each subsequent upgrade has been a used camera, bought about a year after introduction.

My latest camera, the NEX-6, I bought for around $450.00. If you are not "needing" to buy the latest and greatest you can get them at the reduced cost and resale is not so much of a drop.