1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Seattle Aquarium

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Bimjo, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Took the grandkids to the Seattle Aquarium recently. I managed to get some shots despite herding cats, er… grandkids the whole time. More shots on my blog.

All shot with my 5N on auto-ISO with the kit zoom. Noise reduction was applied in post processing.

The tidal pool. Kids (of all ages) are allowed to touch with one finger. TJ tried the two finger "pull and lift" method of hands on. Fortunately he got away with it as this was the first stop and getting kicked out that soon would have sucked.
    seattle_aquarium121015_03.

What a cutie!
    seattle_aquarium121015_04.

Dinner!
    seattle_aquarium121015_10.

What the underside of a abalone looks like.
    seattle_aquarium121015_11.

I have some shots of the reef life that I'll post up later.

2. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    Great shots. A friend got invited to an photographers night at some big aquarium in Los Angeles, he said it was like a tripod convention. Sometimes hard to get aquarium photos, because you can't make your subjects stay still, much like the referenced cat herding.

3. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Man I'd love to get to shoot after hours in an aquarium with a tripod and control of the room lights. Drool!

Unfortunately every aquarium I've ever been in was a no tripod zone. They don't even really like monopods for that matter.

4. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Nice shots, aquariums can be quite challenging.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Thanks Dave, the lighting usually does leave something to be desired.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    yup

Reflections galore, low lighting, moving fish etc really make this a challenge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Yeah, it is a challenge & these are nice ones. I seldom try to do moving stuff unless it's swimming parallel to the tank and I can move sideways with it as I shoot. Not a slow-to-focus issue with the camera, I had trouble doing it with a dslr too. Must be me. Go figure. :p

8. freddytto

freddytto TalkEmount All-Pro

Dec 2, 2011
    Puebla, Mexico
    good pictures mate ;)