• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Sears Auto 135mm f/2.8 Lens on Sony A7iii

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
I seldom purchase a legacy lens because of its low price, I usually am looking for legacy lenses that have special renditions like the 55mm f/1.8 Helios with its swirly bokeh. However, for lack of anything constructive to do, I was perusing the Goodwill Auction Site and found this lens for eleven dollars plus a few bucks shipping. Since I really like the IQ of my Sears Auto 55mm f/1.4 lens, I thought that I would take a chance on this lens for eleven bucks. The thought of shooting with an eleven buck piece of glass was another reason for the purchase...

The manufacturer of this lens is pretty obscure. It might be Tomioka (who made the 55mm f/1.4) but, that is unlikely. More likely it was produced for Sears by either Ricoh or Tokina. It is an M-42 mount lens which I adapted to my Sony A7iii with a cheap, "dumb" adapter. The lens works equally well on my A6400 using either a "dumb" adapter or a Viltrox EF-E Mark-2 adapter which gives me an approximately a 135mm f/2.0 equivalent. Being an M-42 mount lens it is totally manual focus and supplies no information to the camera. However with the focus peaking capability of my Sony cameras, using a manual focus lens is actually easier now than it was on the cameras for which the lenses were designed.

20190908_SEARS 135mm f2.8_4733.jpg
ILCE-7M3    ----       f/1.0    1/100s    ISO 12800

It is a decently sharp lens on my A7iii camera but, it doesn't seem to have at specific characteristic rendition like most of my other legacy lenses. The optics are too good to have the flaws that make my other legacy lenses enjoyable to use:roflmao:

However, it does have one feature that I wish every lens, especially telephoto lenses would incorporate: A RETRACTABLE LENS HOOD:clapping: I have had this type of hood on my Canon 300mm f/5.6L and 300mm f/4L lenses and it is a joy to work with. It is also fairly small and seems very well made. The solid build of the lens is reminiscent of many old Tokina lenses that I have owned.

Will I keep this lens? Very likely, just for the novelty of using an eleven dollar piece of glass:wink::wink: Will it get a lot of use. I seriously doubt it! I have a Sony 70-200mm f/4 lens that is very sharp and supports great AF including Eye-AF on my A7iii and my A6400...

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
Several makers provided Sears with a 135mm f/2.8. Makinon, Tokina, Samyang. Tomioka only made one 135mm f/2.8 for Sears, and it was the Auto Sears SX 135 f/2.8, a rebranded Mamiya/Sekor SX 135mm f/2.8. Also the last M42 mount.

High likelihood that yours is by Tokina. As Tokina made the 135mm f/2.8 for Ricoh, and Mamiya/Sekor in the earlier years, in M42.

However, it does have one feature that I wish every lens, especially telephoto lenses would incorporate: A RETRACTABLE LENS HOOD:clapping:
In the days this lens was sold, the two main Dutch photo magazines criticized many lenses for their retractable hoods, deeming them too short to be really effective. I personally hate rectractable lens hoods, because they force me to use a lens cap; I prefer a fixed hood so that the lens is ready for use after mounting it on the camera.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with Will in that the lens manufacturer was likely Tokina. My suspicion is brought out by the waffle pattern rubberized focus ring that Tokina generally applied to their lenses...

Top Bottom