1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Sea World San Antonio, TX 11.28.13

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Zanner, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Zanner

Zanner TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Learning how to use Flickr.

Let me know if you can't see these.

We went to Sea World of San Antonio on Thanksgiving Day while my daughter and I were down visiting my parents who live there. Didn't have anything but my SEL 55-210 with me, but it was fun having new subjects to take pictures of. I was walking with a cane as this was right before my back surgery, so we didn't see as much of the park as I would have liked to. But I was able to get a few shots. Plus we used to live in San Antonio and I grew up walking my baby girl in her stroller through Sea World on a lot of days while Daddy was working. So there was nothing much new for me. Parents bought me a season pass so I could just stroll through there for free anytime I wanted. It was great.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100618110@N03/sets/72157640062007623/

2. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I can see the link, but there are photos posted here in the forum.

3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Some fun shots. I lived in San Antonio in the late 90's and visited a few times.

Always found it odd to have a Sea World in San Antonio.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne

I made a "Set" on Flickr and was experimenting to see if it worked. So I did only post a link. It seemed easier that way ;)

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I meant to write "no" photos in my post above. But yes, it probably is easier to just post a link. But here's the rub, for me at least: I generally don't click on links to photos on other sites. Maybe I'm spoiled, but it's "easier" for me if I can just scroll through a post without having to click onto another site and then click back here to continue with my browsing. Others here may not be quite as lazy as I am. But I suspect there may be a few others who are going to miss your photos if you don't post them here.

Here's a suggestion: edit your "set" down to two or three of the shots you like best, and post those here, but also include a link to the rest of them on Flickr. That way, we have some idea of what's in store for us out there, and may be more inclined to explore further.

Unless, of course, you show us two or three cat photos. :p

• Like Like x 1
  6. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Lol! Allergic to cats, so you're safe there. Thanks for the tips. I'll do that next time!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mattithjah

Mattithjah TalkEmount Veteran

Jan 17, 2013
    Czech Republic
    Matěj
    As for "Sea World" in general... Btw., have you ever seen documentary film "The Cove"? Full lenght with Spanish subtitles here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im7ejQ0eyQg

Yes, it is a little tendency.. But I thing on everything is little part of truth..

8. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    Just beautiful !!! I like the jumping Orca whale shot the most but the others don't go back behind too :thumbup:

(I'd love to see them posted directly here, rather than following the provided link - I guess I'm lazy too :D )

9. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    Haven't seen it, but I have read about "The Cove" in general. Just horrible. In my opinion, Sea World does some good and some bad. Just like zoos. I don't like zoos and seeing the animals pacing back and forth and slowly going crazy. But they are there now, and they need to eat and be taken good care of. I'm not a big fan of Sea World's "shows" they put on for entertainment, but realize their need to do it to attract people. I would like to see them as more of a sanctuary then entertainment park.

10. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Are you in Wisconsin or San Antonio? Last time I was at the Seaworld in SA, it was so packed and hot. I must have drank about a dozen bottles of water that day for $4 per bottle (or something like that).

11. Zanner

Aug 19, 2013
    Wisconsin, USA
    Suzanne
    I live in Wisconsin again now. My husband was born and grew up here, so this is home. I'm originally from northern Minnesota. My parents moved to San Antonio to retire (on the golf course), so we go down there yearly to vacation. And we did live there for a year in 2008 before we were called back to WI to help out my husband's parents who are elderly and needed us here.

The summer's there are definitely brutal, especially for this Scandinavian! But I realized people just live indoors during the summer, like we live indoors during the winter. They have more months of beautiful outdoor weather though, that's for sure. I just couldn't handle the heat in the summer. Give me sunny and 75! ;) We usually go in Spring or Fall when the temp is beautiful. Plus my parents have a second home in Minnesota where they live in the summer to get away from the heat. So that is our vacation spot in the summers too.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Armanius

Armanius TalkEmount Regular

Aug 8, 2011
    Houston Texas USA
    Best of both worlds! Escape the extremes.

• Like Like x 1