1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

SD Cards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by snpr9696, Jan 10, 2016.

1. snpr9696

snpr9696 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 8, 2016
    Joe DAgostino
    Ok, Im a bit confused. What is the fastest writing card I can use in my A7II. I'm so tired of bursting off a few shots and waiting for the camera to take its sweet time trying to write to the card. I'm figuring this is a card issue not a Sony issue.

Well at least I hope not. If it's a Sony issue that really blows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    I do not have a Sony full frame (A6000 here), but from what I have read and just now googled, you want UHS-1 Class 10 cards minimum. Preferably SDXC format so you can shoot video in XAVC, if that at all interests you. This guy did some testing that seemed to max out performance in the 30-40MB range, but I read elsewhere the 90MB/s cards show some improvement in burst/video.
    Best SD Memory Card For The Sony A7II

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. SamSS

SamSS TalkEmount Regular

Oct 11, 2014
    I've benchmarked and still using 2 of the original PNY Elite Performance 64GB SDXC UHS-1 back in Feb-2014 when it was released.
    The newer version is now a UHS-3 rated...which is very much the same. B&H is currently selling only for $24
    Very cost effective, fast card without problems for me since.

These tests were done of the original UHS-1 back in Feb-2014

DSC09790_Package
    34ep552.

DSC09816_Kingston_MobileLite_G3_USB_3.0_Adaptor
    nltmjp.

2nd-to-4th AsSSD-CrystalDiskMark-ATTO-HDTune
    f57pw.

5th-to-8th AIDA64-Speedout-Roadkil-Parkdale
    256s66g.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    I did some research on this a while ago and the consensus seemed to be that Sandisk had the best write speeds compared to the other name brands (eg. Kingston, Sony, etc.). These days if buying new, I would get a minimum of 64GB and a (claimed) write speed of at least 80 MB/s (my main card is a Sandisk Extreme Pro SDXC with claimed write speed of 90 MB/s - I have tested it to about write speed of 88-90 MB/s with CrystalDisk).

This link is quite useful.

Edit: The next card I get (maybe when I upgrade my camera next) will probably be a UHS-II card with 200+ MB/s speeds. But I don't need that while on a 24MP A7 I think.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. chalkdust

chalkdust TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 25, 2015
    Bert Cheney
    I have been using SD cards with much less memory size for years now ever since I lost half a vacation to a SD card failure. I usually switch out cards each day of a vacation so I may lose only one day at a time due to failure.

However, now that my wife and I will be trying our hands at video, I plan to get some cards with greater memory size. So these posts are very helpful.

In the past our videos from point-and-shoot cameras have primarily been jiggly images of our feet with this audio, "What's it doing now? I can't get it do anything. I don't know. What button did you press? I didn't press anything; it just stopped working. What is that red dot?"

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. bdbits

bdbits TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 10, 2015
    Bob
    Hahaha... we used to laugh pretty hard along with my wife (yes she laughed too) for this as it happened all the time with her previous camera. In all fairness, it was a very tiny Sony camera and it was easy to hit the wrong control. Anyway, this went on until one day we were sorting through some photos I had taken and you guessed it - I did it too. I could hardly poke fun after that! She mostly uses a cell phone camera now, but funny memories.