1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Screen protector

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by teefin1, Oct 14, 2012.

1. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    I've notIced a couple of scratched on my new 5n already, could anyone recommend which screen protector is useful? Stick on or hard?

Many thanks and apologies if this has been to death elsewhere.

2. Jeff Spangle

Jeff Spangle TalkEmount Rookie

Sep 6, 2012
    Leicestershire, UK
    I'm currently using a "Jessops" generic one. Seems ok, I will probably get the Sony item eventually - it is expensive.

3. applemint

applemint TalkEmount Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    I use a GGS one on my Nex 5 and it's done an excellent job so far (nearly 2 years)
    GGS Rigid LCD Screen Protector Glass for Sony NEX-5N NEX-C3 NEX-5C NEX3 NEX5 New | eBay

Only thing I am not sure of is how it affects the touch screen of the 5n (or if it does). I am not really a big fan of those plastic stick on things as they are almost impossible to align 100% and I found the so called anti glare ones actually made the screen harder to see in some situations! That said, I do have a clear plastic one (ScreenPatronus) on my GF3 though which claims to have an anti glare coating and although the alignment is not 100% perfect, apart from that it's fine - no problem seeing the image and touch screen works fine. They do one for the Nex too: 3 Screen Protector Sony Alpha NEX-5N NEX-C3 | eBay Of the two is much prefer the GGS though - it looks much nicer as well, almost like it's part of the camera.

4. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Cyprus
    Nick
    When I bought my Nex-5 (used) it came eqquiped with an original Sony hard plastic screen protector. It was very scratched so I went to Sony to buy a replacement. They told me that they no longer carry those and offered me a semi-hard plastic/vinyl one (original Sony NEX-5N accessory but it fits the NEX-5 perfectly). I'm very pleased with my purchase.

edit: part # is PCK-LM1EA

5. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    +1

Here's my review...

https://www.talkemount.com/f13/sony-pck-lm1ea-semi-hard-screen-protector-review-1030/

6. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks for the replies, I went ahead and bought the Sony semi hard one; received it today, and its great! You wouldn't notice it was there, just wish I'd bought it sooner.....before that blooming scratch!

Thanks again, this site is fab :)

7. Dioptrick

Dioptrick TalkEmount All-Pro

Feb 4, 2012
    New Zealand
    Think of that scratch as a 'Badge of Honour. '

My friend Kung Fu Panda calls it 'Authentic Battle Damage,' and it only raises the value of his toys... errrh sorry, Action Figures I mean...

:)