Screen Protector - NOT! and lack of EVF

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jethro10, Jul 9, 2013.

1. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    Once upon a time.......

Well a few weeks ago I got a NEX 3N
    Over the moon with it. I had an SLR about 35 years ago! and compacts since then.
    I decided to buy a screen protector for the LCD panel. Got a nice NEX glass one.
    Except it wasn't nice.
    Out cycling round the Lake District (UK) on Saturday, taking pics and dug the camera out of the top box on the rack - screen protector broken and screen damaged.
    The glass was not toughened, just plain glass, and it's lifted off the screen by the glue pad. so you have a 1mm thick unsupported glass.

It looks like a bullet shot, with ground glass getting ground into the screen over a 15mm diameter area. Along with several deep scratches. Is the screen Plastic?
    Anyhow, I'm sure the screen would have been fine without the protector. so beware and think how a protector protects.

As for an EVF. Having compacts for years, you think of little else except for how to position the picture, who is in it etc and where, along with AUTO and your away.
    With a "proper" camera, you need a lot more, F settings, shutter speeds, DOF, focusing etc. You need to do so much more.
    What's good enough for a compact way of life is nowhere good enough for a real camera.
    so, I hit a sunny day, and could see the screen just enough, even on the brightest setting, to position things properly, but anything else? not a chance.

so I've a broken new camera of a style I didn't realise I didn't want due to not understanding how much more you need to see stuff when not running a compact on auto.

Apart from that, I had a nice weekend ;-)

Looking into if insurance pays for it, but fortunatley, it's not going to kill me one way or another so can move on, smiling as always....

2. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Always use these folios - much thinner, cheaper and more secure than the glass type ones.
  3. Electric Shepherd

Electric Shepherd TalkEmount Regular

May 12, 2012
    Leicestershire, U.K.
    Sorry to hear that Jeff.

Certainly my Nex-3 [the first] had a thick, very tenacious, protective plastic film over the screen. This had a tendency to bubble up, so with some trepidation [having looked at others on the web with a similar problem] I pulled it off and replaced it with a Vikuiti screen protector film which has been great.

I couldn't swear to the 3N being the same, but I'd be surprised if it weren't.
  4. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I am using a cheap plastic film protector for a smartphone.

It bubbles and scratches.. So what. It's protecting the screen from scratches.

I think any cheap thin plastic film would work.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  5. Jethro10

Jethro10 TalkEmount Regular

May 28, 2013
    Well last night, I polished most of the scratches out. Went quite well, all that is left is a small cut in the bottom right corner, and not really distracting as it's been smoothed over and it's out of the picture frame. If you angle the screen right and switch it off, the light can show the place the main bit was worked on but it's so much better.
    I've ordered a simple plastic protector ;-)

My wife works for a car dealership and the manufacturer insists (not uncommon!) they use a certain camera to take website pics of the car, a Panasonic Lumix G2 they have had a year or two. Yesterday, I though I had decided on a G5 or G6 to replace the NEX.
    She brought it home last night, and it's given me a whole new appreciation for the NEX.
    The G2 is monsterously big (G5 is within a few mm in size), clumsy, and feels cheap. The lens particularly felt cheap, with the zoom ring,l particularly, feeling sticky and very plasticky and, er, cheap.

I really felt good about the NEX after seeing the G2, so I'm going to soldier on, and see how it goes.

Back to being a happy bunny again ;-)

6. Tabibito

Tabibito TalkEmount Regular

Apr 1, 2013
    Glad to hear that ^_^