1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Screen or EVF shooters

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by christian, May 5, 2014.

1. christian

christian TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Hi everyone,

With our Alpha/NEXs we can all and easily shoot through the Liveview screen, some of us can also shoot with either built-in EVF or as an accessory (in this case it's tilt EVF which I think can be really great).
    My question is the following: In the end, what do you prefer to use (or what do you use the most) when you're shooting?

I add another question for those who were used to shoot with optical viewfinders on DSLRs, do you think the quality of Sony EVFs are good enough? Do you think it can substitute an optical viewfinder?

2. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    EVF, of course. Holding a camera with lens attached is easier when you brace it with both hands and against your face.

In my case, I actually prefer EVF over OVF I used to have on my Canons. Some people are complaining about delay when tracking fast moving things, I either don't notice this issue or don't have it. The WYSIWYG nature of EVF is great.

3. shaolin95

shaolin95 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jul 3, 2013
    EVF most of the time unless I need the odd angle image which dont let me look through it. :)

4. roundball

roundball TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Oct 8, 2013
    USA
    EVF for me...most stable camera situation and I feel like I'm part of the shot.
    Using the LCD screen I can't see detail as good, camera movement is greater, and I feel like a spectator.

The one exception is wildlife photography situations using a tripod where I have preset a specific target spot and focus...both singles and video...and once done I just glance at the LCD from time to time for reassurance that focus peaking is still as it should be.

5. dbmiller

dbmiller TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    New England
    EVF for most hand held shots - I hate the "dirty diaper" method of looking at the LCD. LCD is useful when you need to put the camera high in the area to shoot over something, or low to the ground for the point of view.

The LCD is useful for tripod shots.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I prefer LCD over EVF. This is partly because I have -6 eyeglasses. EVF is better in bright sunlight.

I think that EVF is much better than optical viewfinder. In the old bad days focusing in dark was really difficult.

7. Yves Gajardo

Yves Gajardo TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 7, 2011
    Pittsburg, CA
    Yves
    I prefer EVF on my NEX 6. Easier for me to shoot hand held at lower shutter speeds. LCD when shooting at low or high angles.

8. Fiddler52

Fiddler52 New to TalkEmount

Apr 12, 2014
    Demark
    I just bought an Sony FDA-EV1S Electronic Viewfinder, and for mee, it turns my Nex5R to a much more usefull camera. I feel much more in control, easier to focus, maybe its old school, but holding the camera that way feels more natural using the evf.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TalkEmount mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  9. Poki

Poki TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Well, depends on the situation. At night, when I shoot landscapes, the EVF is completely useless, for example. Then I use the LCD, of course. Also, for studio (tripod) stuff I use the LCD, except when I shoot a model. When I shoot a live event, I turn the screen off altogether and only shoot EVF to not distract anyone of the guests from the show. For general walk-around stuff, I prefer the EVF too.

• Like Like x 1
  10. addieleman

addieleman Passionate amateur

Nov 13, 2012
    Netherlands
    Ad Dieleman
    EVF when hand-held, LCD on a tripod for viewing and EVF for focussing when I focus and shoot at the same aperture.

11. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    By the way, I LOVE viewing the images through the EVF! It just gives them some contrast and nicer color closer to what I wanted in the first place as opposed to the pale screen.

12. alaios

alaios TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 11, 2013
    Düsseldorf
    Alex
    EVF I bought the external one and I love it God....
    It just feels so weird to look at the screen now. The good point with the viewfinder is that "isolates" you and makes it easier to think of the composition....
    It also learns you that you need to bend (if you want for example to shoot from your belt level) but believe me this is very good practice and attitude to get
    Be careful though I never got a good shot and half of my shots are with the lens cap attached

• Like Like x 2
  13. Poki

Aug 30, 2011
    Austria
    Wow, you are a TOURIST!

Seriously, don't underestimate yourself. ;)

14. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Alright thanks a lot guys, I see that (almost) everyone prefers the EVF. Unfortunately I don't have it on my NEX-5T. I wanted to make sure it's really useful and that the quality is good. I can see it's a real succes here. For those who have a NEX-5N-R-T do you have pictures to see how it looks like?

15. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Both.

I prefer using the Viewfinder, but would really dislike not having a screen. There are times and situations that a viewfinder just simply is too limiting.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    There's a couple of shots floating around the adapted lens forum. At least I think that's where I put them. No guarantee. They are here somewhere though.

• Like Like x 1
  17. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    My response aside, I went two years with the original NEX-3 and then the F3 with no viewfinder and was just fine.

I shopped the viewfinder, but simply could not justify the cost. Seriously, there is no reason it should cost so much, Check out this thread from a sister site. http://www.seriouscompacts.com/showthread.php?t=28361

• Like Like x 1
  18. christian

Apr 12, 2014
    Boston MA
    Yeah, that's why I wanted to have your opinion. It's the price of a SEL...
    Thanks for the link

19. Amamba

Amamba TalkEmount All-Pro

Apr 13, 2013
    SE MI
    I bought EVF for my F3 (not for the full price, but still pricey). Lost about $50 when I resold it. Still feel it was absolutely worth it.

• Like Like x 1
  20. eno789

eno789 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Jan 1, 2012
    NoCal, USA
    Brian
    I have two 5N's, one EVF.

Maybe I'm the odd one here: percentage wise, I shoot about 70 ~ 80% with the LCD. I shoot a lot of close-up of wildflowers, with EVF it's harder to get low angle or focus magnification. Tilting LCD and touch screen is really useful for that sort of shots.

Using LCD does not automatically mean "unstable". There's the "stinking diaper" pose of using LCD, there're other more stable poses too.

• Like Like x 1