Scored some free stuff

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Simsy, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Hi guys today I scored some free lenses now I need to know if any of them are going to be useful at all and if so what do I need to make these work.

this is the gear I scored it all fits on to a Ricoh Body

thelot_zpsb833d1b0.

Attached Files:

2. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Here are some individual shots if anybody could give me some info on these it would be great.

LENS1_zps81be6fef.

lens12_zps0b8a7e2f.

Attached Files:

3. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012

Attached Files:

4. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012

Attached Files:

5. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    They all need a good clean for sure but there docent seem to be to much wrong with them except 1 of the smaller ones docent seem to have a functioning aperture ring.

6. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    That Asanuma may be made by Tokina. May be pretty good but possibly heavy. Pentacon 50mm/1.8 isn't very good for a 50mm lens but that Petri 55mm is.

That Kimunor seems to be pretty rare.

Most teleconverters are pretty bad, everybody needs extension tubes.

7. teefin1

teefin1 TalkEmount Top Veteran

Sep 7, 2012
    M42 fit perhaps?

8. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah I looked up the body that they came with and yes they are M42 so I have corded one on eBay already. This will be my first foray into legacy glass so far its cost me $16.99 hopefully it will be worth it. if nothing else at least it should keep me occupied for a while trying to remember how to use Manual lenses its been a while. ! question I have is what will the camera do I know it wont focus or set aperture but how about ISO will it do that automatically or will I need to set that as well.

9. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    I tend to keep the camera is S or M as aperture is set via the lens and iso should still be set automatically if you prefer. Legacy glass is great fun on the NEX, just set to enable without lens in the menu first,focus peaking ON and you're off! Great score, I have quite a few m42 lenses now because they can also be used on the alpha bodies with the tiniest adapter ever. :)

10. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    I think that you have got some very usable old lenses there. I might get that Petri 55mm if needed decent 55 mm lens cheaply. That 135mm is probably ok too (it is easy to make a decent 135mm) and 135mm is quite nice focal length with crop sensors.

11. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I think the gear dates back to the late 70's early 80's either way its prity old should be a bit of fun seeing what I can get out of them even if it turns out they are not very good.

12. Bugleone

Bugleone TalkEmount Veteran

Aug 21, 2011
    All that stuff will work on NEX,....the tele lenses are not from 'premier' makers but should still return at least reasonable quality since you are only uysing the centres of their image circles with APS-C sensor.....All you need is a 'NEX/M42' adaptor.

Just set the NEX to 'use shutter without lens' and then set camera to 'A'...ie, aperture priority. Then set what aperture you want on the lens itself.

........However, I think you may have more problems using them on your Sony DSLR's......the register distance for M42 is 45.5mm and the Sony's use about 48mm if I recall,......thats an adaptor of only 2.5mm, and part of teh mount will have to go inside the sony......Not sure that is possible or that there are any 'm42/Sony' adaptors....

13. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah I doubt that there is a adapter for the a77 for these but that's ok I wouldn't want to put these on my DSLR at all. They are for my nex f3 and I only really got them because they were free as im happy with my current lenses for the nex. For the $16 it cost me for an adapter its worth giving it a go.

14. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Ok so the adapter arrived today unfortunately its been raining all day so all I could do was take some test shots from the safety of the back door. So I took 3 test shots 1 with each lens, for these shots I set the lenses on wide open and the camera on Aperture Priority so the camera can do most of the work.

All shots are JPEGs straight from the camera unedited, they didn't come out to badly I think.

Lens 1 Petri 55mm f1.8

DSC01143_zps97f99656.

Lens 2 Kimunor 135mm f3.5

DSC01142_zps9418fe22.

Lens 3 Asanuma 200mm f3.5

DSC01141_zpsf5a9031b.

15. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    I have discovered that the 55mm Petri has a couple of issues, the aperture ring docent click so its a bit hard to keep the aperture in the right place and the other problem is that there is some specs of dust floating around inside the lens.

16. xXx1

xXx1 TalkEmount All-Pro

Jan 15, 2013
    All seem to be at least very usable. That Asanuma is even quite good.

Some dust doesn't matter at all. It really takes time to form an opinion of lens. Besides some old lenses benefit hugely about good post processing.

17. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    There is an m42 to amount adapter, it#s tiny and works extremely well. I find legacy works better on the Alpha bodies for lenses such as the Carl Zeiss Jena 135mm/3.5 and auto optomax 70-150mm/3.9 just for stability. I have a couple of 50/55mm f1.4's and these work beautifully too. The following were all taken using these lenses on my A57: [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

18. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    PS. THis is the adapter - it cost me £6.00 adapter-for-m42-screw-lenses-on-sony-alpha-dslr-and-slt-many-minolta-af-konica-minolta-1953-p.

19. teefin1

Sep 7, 2012
    PS (again) that Asanuma shot is wonderful :)

20. Simsy

Simsy TalkEmount Regular

Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah I am fairly impressed with the 200mm given that they are very old and have spent the last 20 years on a shelf in the shed they actually did better than I expected. These shots were all handheld as well while I was sitting on the laundry floor shooting through the door. I expect I could do better with a tripod although I am not keen on the weight of the 200mm on the mount. I will be out on Saturday doing some random photos so that will be a better test. I will now have to get one of those a mount adapters to try them on my a77. teefin1 those are some nice shots you have I am just a little worried where this is going to take me It was very exciting getting these old lenses and the adapter to see what they could do on a modern body. I fear that it could become quite addictive.