Scene modes in NEX6

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by izzikiorage, Apr 13, 2014.

1. izzikiorage

izzikiorage TalkEmount Veteran

Jul 30, 2013
    I've been checking out a lot of videos on the inbuilt scene modes on the NEX6. Especially interesting are the ones that claim to take multiple shots and then do noise reduction on them to get crisp images. ie hand held twilight, shake redection, and night portrait

Have you people used them, what are they best suited for, and how and when can i best use them

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

2. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I've used them a few times, and it works pretty well.

1- Things/People need to be pretty static. Too much movement will result in some pretty funny results.

2- You have no control over the various elements. The camera chooses everything, most of the time fairly well, but sometimes not so much. About 10 percent of the ones I have done had to be redone due to a weird White Balance or the wrong focus point being chosen.

• Like Like x 1
  3. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Does it really give a better noise performance than shooting normally and cleaning in lightroom?

4. Jazzer

Jazzer TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    New York
    Larry
    Here are a few images I took fooling around with either anti motion blur or hand held twilight. The two modes are very similar and I don't recall which I used or if I tried both. I am still getting familiar with post processing, so can't really answer your question about the scene modes vs. cleaning in Lightroom, but my sense is that given a choice, using Lightroom would be a better option, if only because you can only shoot JPEG when using these scene modes.

With more care I suspect you could end up with better results on your own, but it will certainly take more work. The modes don't do a bad job though, and in a pinch and for snapshots it's a very nice option to have.

Washington  1499.

DSC02479.

DSC02424.

A few more and original sizes here

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjWWte7x

Hope this helps.

5. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    The advantage of using either mode is that you can hand hold shots that you'd normally use a tripod for. Post processing a normal shot in my experience provides a better final image. But when you need the shot and you either don't have a tripod or don't have time to set one up either mode (anti-blur or hand-held-twilight) can be a shot saver.

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Yup

7. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Thats the point, is there anyway to do whatever these modes do in later post processing? Suppose i take a burst of shots at high ISO, can i reduce the noise in lighttoom?

8. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
  9. izzikiorage

Jul 30, 2013
    Looks like fun.... Will give this a shot