1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Saving settings when turning off the camera.

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Utik, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    Hello, I have a Nex 5r and I ask you something I don't find in the manual.
    I'm looking for a way to decide which settings the camera should keep when turned off and which not, like AF-mode, ev compensation, etc.
    On my older camera this was possible but I don't find the option in the nex menu, and every time I turn on shutter delay or similar I continue to forget it the next time I turn on the camera.

Can you help me?

2. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    I'm pretty sure you can't do that. At least on my 5N whatever is set when the camera is turned of is still set when you turn it back on.

3. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    No way to do that on the NEX-6. But I try to keep the LCD screen on "For Viewfinder" display, which shows only the shooting setup, no image. That way I can quickly scan the settings when I turn on the camera, and hopefully catch some bonehead error before I make it.

4. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Does that work? :evilsmile:

5. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    I did say "hopefully." :rolleyes:

6. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, I voiced this as a desire. Unfortunately there is no such option. It will remember your last setup, but nothing else.

My last camera had the option to save three different "settings."

7. Bimjo

Bimjo Super Moderator

Oct 28, 2011
    Washington State
    Jim
    Hey, I was just happy to see I'm not the only one with that issue. ;)

8. ErickSaint

ErickSaint TalkEmount Regular

Aug 27, 2012
    Milwaukee, WI
    Erick
    I would love this option as well. I'm pretty good at not checking my setup and taking a half dozen shots before I realize it.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 TalkEmount Regular

Mar 23, 2013
    Same here...my camera has 3 "Custom" settings plus, it remembers whatever I left it at on "M". It's pretty awesome, I basically, have a Custom mode set up for indoor shots, one for long exposures and one for something else (I can't remember, I just woke up haha). It's awesome when I'm travelling and go inside a church or something, then just spin from M to C1 and I'm instantly on high ISO, open aperture, slow-ish, but hand-holdable shutter speed...go back outside, back to M and we're at low ISO, fast shutter speed and f5.6-ish.

10. Utik

Utik TalkEmount Regular

Feb 7, 2013
    Rimini, Italy
    This is bad.... :(

11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    I am not a "SONY MESSED UP AND SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS" kind of guy, but this one is something they should have included.