• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Saving Equipment "Bucks," Apply Elsewhere

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Low cost detachable ring (tripod mount) fits various 135mm diameter/circumference to attach an adapted or bare lens to tripod.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
???

Asahi Pentax released a plethora of fine 135mm primes. And their body dimensions weren't all the same. So, this isn't going to work.
Plus, many of the later bayonet mount (PK) lenses have no room for a tripod ring.
Your best alternative is to purchase an adapter with a tripod foot. Thus you can use it with more than one lens.
My favorite adapter w/ tripod foot is made by Yehon. It's threaded and can be removed for smaller-lighter lenses.
They make an M42 and PK version.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WNG, Thanks. As you note, I found same adapter.

Now have two foot typrs: One for Nikkor and one for srcew-mounts, but bulky.

I do not use them often, so was looking for a general-use alternative, for larger lenses.

The particular lens example is the Asahi, Super Takumar 2.5...plus the Nikkors I have.

However, the band-type adjustable-diameter lens-rings, with foot attached, as you noted, adjust but are too costly.

Prefer inexpensive (cheap).

I figured these Asahi original Taks varied in diameter by only a millimeter or so, if that, so it works.

I can get along as it is, but the circular band type device would be far easier to pack in bag and let me use tripod on occasion, leaving the lens, without attached footed-adapter, thinner in bag for general hand-held use ...

Thanks again, WNG, you always come through.

Last edited:

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
FWIW, did the standard math for circumference: measured diameter times 1.34 to get to about 58mm.

Now to find ring...which I hoped to find here.
So far all need to have padding added to hold lens in place, basically latching on to screw-mount adapter.

Am close, but the searching is as frustrating as a Capture One download...nothing happens...

Later on...I gave up looking just ordered ring with 65mm dia, will try adding foam fill, glued in place, use on adapter.

Last edited:

WNG

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Will
I did the standard math for circumference, measured diameter time 1.34 to get to about 58mm. Now to find ring...which I hoped to find here. So far all need to have padding added to hold lens in place, basically latching on to screw-mount adapter. Am close, but the searching is as frustrating as a Capture One download...no happens...

Later on...I gave up looking just ordered ring with 65mm dia, will try foam fill, glued in place, use on adapter.
The aftermarket tripod rings you'll find on ebay are limited to applications for Canon and Nikon zooms. The smallest diameter is ~61+mm for the Canon EF 70-200mm f/4. It's too large for the adapters used for E-mount. I did attempt to do this with one of these tripod rings for my long telephoto primes. I had to line it with rubber to build up the diameter. The only adapter I ended up using it with was Fotasy's Adaptall-2/E mount adapter. It had a consistent dia. shape of ~58mm. The other adapters have tapers or odd machined shapes, making it close to impossible to achieve a sufficient purchase to grasp securely.

2018-11-29 14-42-24_035_Pentax Super Takumar 35mm f2 by wNG iMAGE aND dESIGN, on Flickr

DSC00421-Konica Hexanon AR 300mm f4.5 by wNG iMAGE aND dESIGN, on Flickr

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
WNG, Thanks again. We are resonant. As noted, I threw in the towel and bought a low cost ring to use with the adapter. I was not aware the adapter circumferances varied but planned to use foam as the "spacer," so, hopefully, I will face minimal problems, when using. Will let all-y'all know the result, after I give it a go. Be best if there was an adapter adjustable, even one with a rubber or hook and loop end...but c'est la vie!

DigiChromeEd

New to TalkEmount
Real Name
Edgar
WNG, Thanks again. We are resonant. As noted, I threw in the towel and bought a low cost ring to use with the adapter. I was not aware the adapter circumferances varied but planned to use foam as the "spacer," so, hopefully, I will face minimal problems, when using. Will let all-y'all know the result, after I give it a go. Be best if there was an adapter adjustable, even one with a rubber or hook and loop end...but c'est la vie!
There is … this one was made for Tamron SP zoom lenses.
CYBERSHOT    ---    41mm    f/2.4    1/80s    ISO 100

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Digi...thanks, I searched...nada...
Clamp I ordered was 4.50 USD.

I know...but will see. I have the foam to line it.

bobbill

TalkEmount Veteran
Update: FWIW...pics show foam-lined $4.95 (Usd) long lens holder. "Glued" foam to ring ID with ordinary carpenter's glue...ring goes around the lens adapter, not lens itself.

Beats spendy items. Will use rarely, but it will be in bag. I also have adapeter with foot...bulky to leave on lens, IMO.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom