SAR4 Major E-Mount announcement in May

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount News and Rumors' started by DigitalD, Mar 16, 2015.

1. DigitalD

DigitalD TalkEmount Veteran

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    I had the A7II for a bit, but returned it as I found I'd rather wait for the next iteration. The IQ as expected was the same for me on the A7 especially with legacy glass so I opted to wait.

Now I am really looking to update to the next level and maybe even start adding some e-mount AF lenses. I will be closely watching this rumor. The upcoming A7RII is kind of exciting but I am eager to see something really new! How about you all?

SAR Link:http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-very-big-sony-e-mount-camera-announcement-in-may/

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. quezra

quezra TalkEmount Top Veteran

Aug 22, 2012
    Perfectly happy with my A7. The next A7/A9 is going to have to be A7ii (IBIS) + A7r (resolution) + A6000 (AF) combined in one package to make me upgrade!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    There are several rumoured ideas out there.

A FF in the smaller packaging, another FF A7, and the next APS-C.

My $$$ is on the smaller packaged FF, but who knows.

4. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Super Moderator

Dec 12, 2012
    Ashland, OR, USA
    David
    And cup holders!

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. pbizarro

pbizarro TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Portugal
    I am quite happy with the A7II.

A new A7RMKII is due to happen, especially now that Canon have the monster 50 mpx ones... but I think that the tolerances for IBIS with such a high res sensor (even at 36 mpx) would be very challenging indeed...

6. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
    Not sure I follow. IBIS would work the same whether it was 12mp, 24mp or 50mp. A clean steady exposure is a clean steady exposure.

Yea they keep showing the patent drawings which looks like an a6000. That would be interesting wouldn't it? An A9 (FF mystery camera) with a smaller body like a NEX.

7. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
  8. TonyTurley

TonyTurley TalkEmount Hall of Famer

Apr 24, 2013
    West Virginia, USA
    With 3 MILC cameras and a nearly-empty discretionary fund account, I'm set for quite a while. I bought a nice new guitar as well as the OM-D E-M5 and a couple of high grade Olympus lenses over the past year, so I need to restock the piggy bank. :)

9. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    literally the feature my mother uses to base her next car purchase on.....

Personally, if Sony wants to get radical and make waves... (like they do) I think it would be rather ballzy of them to Open Source their camera software. Provide the SDK and welcome homebrew on their devices.
    Anyone who has read an article on what MagicLantern did for Cannon cameras could probably agree that if Sony would open up the doors to the dev community they would see a huge uptick in popularity amongst amateurs and pros.
    Oh, the possibilities.

• Like Like x 3
  10. HabsFan

HabsFan TalkEmount Veteran

Apr 10, 2013
    Ontario, CAN
    I get that Sony is really going for a Full Frame push so if they add 2 more FE bodies, that would make 6 that will probably have overlapping periods of sale. I guess Canon has 5 for sale now so maybe Sony is trying to beat them on number of bodies?

Personally, I hope they give APS-C some love in the near future.

• Like Like x 1
  11. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Ya, no matter what it is, I am quite happy with my A6000 and am not looking to change right now.

That said, it is good to know that Sony continues to develop the line, and who knows in a couple of years what I may buy.

12. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave
    Samsung's Android based camera was interesting this way, but nothing ever came of it.

13. unlo

unlo Sony ******

Jan 19, 2014
    Ohio
    Matt
    thats cuz sammy fans are lame-o's (no offense)

14. davect01

davect01 Super Moderator

Aug 20, 2011
    Fountain Hills, AZ
    Dave

I would have loved this to develop, a great concept

15. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    Chris
    Latest;

In addition to the A7rii there is one, maybe two other cameras to be released with a new 50mp sensor.

It could be the rumored "pro" A9 or the A99II (A-mount) or perhaps both.

16. DigitalD

Mar 2, 2014
    Miami
    David K Fonseca
  17. slothead

slothead TalkEmount Top Veteran

Mar 1, 2015
    Maryland
    Tom
    I will be very interested in a FF sensor behind an E-mount. From the looks of the image shown in Sony Rumors article, it looks like the size/shape of the NEX/a6000 also (which is fine with me). My big question is what that FF sensor will have for pixel size and density and how much the camera (body) will cost.

18. SRHEdD

SRHEdD TalkEmount Veteran

Nov 25, 2012
    Viera, Florida, USA
    Steve
    Have to agree with most of this. An A6000-style body that is FF with a sharper EVF, and A6000 AF speed (or better) would make me use only one Sony system finally. A battery grip accessory would be greatly appreciated.

19. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    This is helpful...well, makes it harder, actually! I follow your posts because you're interested in quality and condition like I am. Others have pretty much convinced me to go for an A7ii over the original A7 because the IBIS is worth the extra $5-600. I pretty much made my decision (but have not come up with the extra $5-600!). Paying that much for a camera I particularly don't love (I prefer smaller cameras without the VF hump) is hard to do. Thus my interest in the rumor!...

I might as well wait a bit more too. I jumped off the Olympus m4/3s boat and onto the Panasonic (why not get the smallest available if I'm getting a Sony FF anyway) so I'm happy using that in the mean time :)

So, we know for sure that the A7Rii is coming. No surprise there and no excitement from me at least. And we also are thinking that this A9 is going to be the 50MP one we've been hearing about. If this A9 happens to be released, I'm 99% sure it is NOT going to be a6000-type body one in a FF. And if only two cameras are being released, we still won't have a FF mirrorless option in a smaller body. And that's what I really want! :boohoo:

20. tjdean01

tjdean01 TalkEmount Regular

Jan 14, 2015
    It's May. I really hoping for some news!