• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Samyang FE 24f2.8 vs FD24f2.8

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Hi

just wondering if anyone has both these lenses and has any comments. I recently purchased the FD (for AU$130 (because I'm Australian)) and am quite comfortable with it. I initially chose it because of the lower "cost of entry" and I already had 2 other FD lenses (before buying the A7, so only needed an adapter).

However I'm wondering if its worth the extra jump (Samyang normally goes for around AU$500) in the convenience of AF and EXIF ... or if I should put that into a Zoom instead (such as say the 28-70, which is different I know).

I seldom find that the FD24f2.8 looks sweet "wide open" and end up using f5.6 (gosh, just like my film daze) to clear up edges.

Thanks

Christop82

TalkEmount Regular
Hi

just wondering if anyone has both these lenses and has any comments. I recently purchased the FD (for AU$130 (because I'm Australian)) and am quite comfortable with it. I initially chose it because of the lower "cost of entry" and I already had 2 other FD lenses (before buying the A7, so only needed an adapter).

However I'm wondering if its worth the extra jump (Samyang normally goes for around AU$500) in the convenience of AF and EXIF ... or if I should put that into a Zoom instead (such as say the 28-70, which is different I know).

I seldom find that the FD24f2.8 looks sweet "wide open" and end up using f5.6 (gosh, just like my film daze) to clear up edges.

Thanks
I don't have the 24, but I used to have the 28mm. I sold it because I felt like the kit lens was very close in image quality.

tino84

TalkEmount Regular
Well, I think that despite its price and obvious compromises ( due to its size), samyang 2.8 has good image quality. 20 years in the middle, and it’s easy that a new little lens performs equal or better than some old lenses, plus with af.
Do you like your FD and don’t mind af? Keep it and put your money on another lens; do you prefer af and go small and practical? Go for the samyang! ( or at least, that’s what I would do if in the same situation. I have no 24mm, so my next lens would be exactly the samyang! as I’ m quite happy with its bigger brother 35mm 2.8 )

WNG

TalkEmount Legend
Real Name
Will
The Canon nFD 24mm f/2.8 is not known to have as good image quality as their 28mm f/2.8 or f/2. Having all three, and compared to some of my other 24mm f/2.8 primes,
the Canon 24mm is less contrast and slightly bloomy wide open and even stopped down. Resolution is there, but is less sharp compared to an Olympus OM Zuiko, Tokina RMC/SL/EL, Nikkor AIS, or Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5. These all have more defined contrast.

The nFD 24mm is also prone to focus ring creep. Wear causes a 1mm slip, but focus still works.

Next to a new native mount Samyang AF, it's apples to oranges. One is much more expensive for the convenience and modern features and design. The image quality is magnitudes better than the Canon. Comparable to the best manual focus legacy lenses. ie. Nikkor. If I were to recommend a 24mm on a limited budget, it would be a one of the later releases of the Tokina 24mm f/2.8. It also can be found in Canon FD mount if you wish to stick to one adapter. But dumb adapters are so inexpensive that you can pick any mount frankly.

The 28-70 kit zoom is convenient, but it won't provide you with the wide look of a 24mm focal length. That 4mm makes a significant difference. (you can try stitching shots with the 28-70 of course.)

WoodWorks

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I can’t compare the Samyang to the Canon. But when I originally purchased the Sony 24-70 f/4 zoom I compared it to my Canon FD 24 f/2.8 at 24mm. The Canon went up on eBay soon thereafter. It wasn’t even close.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but I have two versions of the Nikkor 24mm lens. I'd like to compare them to each other. Not expecting a whole lot of difference between them but would still like to do it.
What is a good method of testing that isn't all scientific?
Shooting at a brick wall? (I have a slump stone wall that could work for that.)
If I can find little difference I will let one go to help fund a native lens purchase.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
Hi
The Canon nFD 24mm f/2.8 is not known to have as good image quality as their 28mm f/2.8 or f/2. Having all three, and compared to some of my other 24mm f/2.8 primes,
the Canon 24mm is less contrast and slightly bloomy wide open and even stopped down. Resolution is there, but is less sharp compared to an Olympus OM Zuiko, Tokina RMC/SL/EL, Nikkor AIS, or Tamron Adaptall-2 24mm f/2.5. These all have more defined contrast.

interesting. I had the 28 but can only comment on it on m43 because I tossed it out when moving a house (and doing massive down-sizing of stuff).

The nFD 24mm is also prone to focus ring creep. Wear causes a 1mm slip, but focus still works.

I'd have phrased it as slop in the connection between outer ring and inner mechanism, but what you write implies focus shifts ... I've not observed that but I'll keep an eye out for that.

The image quality is magnitudes better than the Canon....

The 28-70 kit zoom is convenient, but it won't provide you with the wide look of a 24mm focal length. That 4mm makes a significant difference.

agreed and it was something I found in the early days of my 35mm shooting when I had a 28-70 lens, that it just wasn't what I sought till I got my first 24.

(you can try stitching shots with the 28-70 of course.)

Yesterday I had to stitch with the 24 to get what I wanted:
sunsetPano.jpg
   ---    24mm       1/500s    ISO 5000

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
What is a good method of testing that isn't all scientific?
Shooting at a brick wall? (I have a slump stone wall that could work for that.)
the brick wall is best for identifying curvature type distortions, but I would expect them to be the same. A stone wall will assist you in seeing contrast differences, make sure you're at least a few meters back.
Then I'd do a sunset shot just as the sun has gone down below the horizon, that should give you another view on contrast.

pellicle

TalkEmount Veteran
But when I originally purchased the Sony 24-70 f/4 zoom I compared it to my Canon FD 24 f/2.8 at 24mm.. It wasn’t even close.
Interesting, and it's not much different in size to the 24f2.8
IMG_20181115_064418.jpg
   ---            

Latest threads

Top Bottom