Showcase Samyang AF 85mm F1.4

mnhoj

TalkEmount Veteran
Traded my Sony F1.8 for the Samyang F1.4 yesterday.
Caught a little bit of some nice light over the harbor this morning.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Ed Diaz

New to TalkEmount
Fast and silent AF; excellent performance at both close and near distances and wide open it's sharp with very minimal CA! This makes the Samyang perfect for both portraiture work and works as a short/fast telephoto lens.
How's this lens with C-AF tracking? Contemplating picking up an A6400 with 50mm and 85mm primes to shoot indoor sports. Heard mixed things about this lens hunting a little bit in C-AF, but thought maybe a FW update might have fixed this. Any thoughts/experience with how this lens would work for indoor sports? Leaning toward the 85mm 1.8 since it's more compact and seems to quick to AF, but the wider aperture on this lens would be nice.

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
What I can say is that with the latest FW C-AF and EyeAF are spot on. It's worth a try.

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
How's this lens with C-AF tracking? Contemplating picking up an A6400 with 50mm and 85mm primes to shoot indoor sports. Heard mixed things about this lens hunting a little bit in C-AF, but thought maybe a FW update might have fixed this. Any thoughts/experience with how this lens would work for indoor sports? Leaning toward the 85mm 1.8 since it's more compact and seems to quick to AF, but the wider aperture on this lens would be nice.
I've owned both. I found the Sony 85mm 1.8 FE to be weaker wide open at further distances. The Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE is definitely sharper at both close and far distances even wide open with very minimal CA. The Sony at 1.8 exhibits stronger CA. Just make sure to get the Samyang USB dock to update to the latest FW. I find the Sam 85mm to be adequate as a fast short telephoto lens.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom