Showcase Samyang AF 85mm F1.4

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
Nice captures... I wonder how this lens matches up against the Sony 85mm f/1.8?
Hi,

the Sony 85mm 1.8 has clearly the better af system. At f1.8 both were equally sharp, but my Samyang already had the nicer backgrounds (without pixel peeping). And with f1.4 it is another world :D
From the colors the Samyang is a bit warmer than the Sony.
I sold my Sony after 2 weeks with the Samyang because the af is not that important to me for people shots. If you want I can show you some unscientific comparison shots I did with both.

Last edited:

fractal

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Love the rendering! I have the 85 1.8 FE and will admit the bokeh is not as creamy (still nice). Right now however I need the better AF speed of the 1.8 as I also use the lens for action/stage photos.

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
Love the rendering! I have the 85 1.8 FE and will admit the bokeh is not as creamy (still nice). Right now however I need the better AF speed of the 1.8 as I also use the lens for action/stage photos.
Sure, if AF is important to you the 85 1.8 is the lens to go

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
The rendering looks wonderful. How is the AF response?
C-af with Eye-af works great. S-af got much better with the recently released firmware 04. All in all my sony 85mm 1.8 was exceptional in autofocus. For me the picture Quality was more important.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
If I did not have the Sony f/1.8 lens, I would be looking seriously at this one. I would still like to try this lens. Unfortunately, I have not found a rental source that carries lenses from Samyang/Rokinon. Do you know of any?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If I did not have the Sony f/1.8 lens, I would be looking seriously at this one. I would still like to try this lens. Unfortunately, I have not found a rental source that carries lenses from Samyang/Rokinon. Do you know of any?
You're in SoCal right? You could give Samys Camera a call.

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
I warn you: if you try a good copy of this lens you don‘t want to turn back to the Sony 😄

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I've been tempted by the Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE, since I'm really happy with the performance of my Sam 18mm and 45mm lenses. Though I'm crossing fingers Samyang has perhaps a compact 85mm-to-135mm prime lens in the works!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
TalkEmount is a fan site and not associated with Sony Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2011-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom