• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Showcase Samyang AF 85mm F1.4

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
ILCE-7M3    SAMYANG AF 85mm F1.4    85mm    f/1.4    1/400s    ISO 100
ILCE-7M3    SAMYANG AF 85mm F1.4    85mm    f/1.4    1/5000s    ISO 100
ILCE-7M3    SAMYANG AF 85mm F1.4    85mm    f/1.4    1/80s    ISO 100

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice captures... I wonder how this lens matches up against the Sony 85mm f/1.8?
Hi,

the Sony 85mm 1.8 has clearly the better af system. At f1.8 both were equally sharp, but my Samyang already had the nicer backgrounds (without pixel peeping). And with f1.4 it is another world :D
From the colors the Samyang is a bit warmer than the Sony.
I sold my Sony after 2 weeks with the Samyang because the af is not that important to me for people shots. If you want I can show you some unscientific comparison shots I did with both.

Last edited:

fractal

Super Moderator
Real Name
Chris
Love the rendering! I have the 85 1.8 FE and will admit the bokeh is not as creamy (still nice). Right now however I need the better AF speed of the 1.8 as I also use the lens for action/stage photos.

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
Love the rendering! I have the 85 1.8 FE and will admit the bokeh is not as creamy (still nice). Right now however I need the better AF speed of the 1.8 as I also use the lens for action/stage photos.
Sure, if AF is important to you the 85 1.8 is the lens to go

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
ILCE-7M3    SAMYANG AF 85mm F1.4    85mm    f/1.4    1/100s    ISO 200

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
The rendering looks wonderful. How is the AF response?
C-af with Eye-af works great. S-af got much better with the recently released firmware 04. All in all my sony 85mm 1.8 was exceptional in autofocus. For me the picture Quality was more important.

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
If I did not have the Sony f/1.8 lens, I would be looking seriously at this one. I would still like to try this lens. Unfortunately, I have not found a rental source that carries lenses from Samyang/Rokinon. Do you know of any?

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
If I did not have the Sony f/1.8 lens, I would be looking seriously at this one. I would still like to try this lens. Unfortunately, I have not found a rental source that carries lenses from Samyang/Rokinon. Do you know of any?
You're in SoCal right? You could give Samys Camera a call.

Tifoso

TalkEmount Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
I warn you: if you try a good copy of this lens you don‘t want to turn back to the Sony 😄

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
I've been tempted by the Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE, since I'm really happy with the performance of my Sam 18mm and 45mm lenses. Though I'm crossing fingers Samyang has perhaps a compact 85mm-to-135mm prime lens in the works!

JonathanF2

TalkEmount All-Pro
THIS LENS IS SO AWESOME! I was more a 50mm kind of shooter, but the Samyang brought me back to being an 85mm fan! This lens excels in several areas that make it a must-buy: Fast and silent AF; excellent performance at both close and near distances and wide open it's sharp with very minimal CA! This makes the Samyang perfect for both portraiture work and works as a short/fast telephoto lens.

Here's a shot of my daughter dressed up for her Halloween school function -

Sony A7III + Samyang 85mm 1.4 FE shot wide open:
48964398853_9955a6a39e_b.jpg
191026_SAMYANG_85_F14_PHOTOS_FRIOLO_001
by Jonathan Friolo, on Flickr

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom