Samyang 8mm over sigma 19mm 2.8?

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Cameras' started by Lensify, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Lensify

Lensify TalkEmount Rookie

Jun 7, 2016
    Hey it's me again needing your help!
    Factors to consider:
    I'm not into landscape photography.
    I have sigma 19mm f2.8

Is it a good idea to swap my 19mm to samyang fisheye 8mm 2.8? ( I just want to try fisheye, since i dont use my sigma 19mm anymore.) Thanks in advance.
  2. NickCyprus

NickCyprus Super Moderator

Oct 11, 2012
    Without owning any of the above, very different lenses I'd say and for different purposes (the fisheye being a specialty lens while the sigma being a wide-ish on crop lens).
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. fractal

fractal TalkEmount All-Pro

Jun 17, 2014
    Southeastern PA
    I have the 8mm and I had the 19mm. Completely different lenses as @NickCyprus@NickCyprus stated. The 8mm is not a landscape lens, works well for indoors architecture or to create dramatic shots in tighter spaces. The 19mm serves well as a landscape lens. Check out the samples of both lenses in the lens showcase forums.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. greywater

greywater TalkEmount Regular

Sep 28, 2014
    Most fisheye lenses languish in camera bags.
  5. bargainguy

bargainguy TalkEmount Regular

Jun 29, 2016
    Before you plunk down your money for a fisheye, try renting one first. That will tell you whether you love it or hate it, and you won't have to sell it should you happen to regret your purchase.

Unless you're taking pix of something which has incredible detail - say the inside of a domed church - you will typically be very close to your subject with a fisheye to help fill the frame. Think inches away, not feet. Does your shooting style suit this? If it doesn't, a fisheye is not for you.
  6. Lensify

Jun 7, 2016
    You guys are great. Very helpful. Im not into landscapes. im into streets, but i also do architectures. i just want to try something different. Truly, i might just rent first. Thanks guys
  7. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Late to respond, but I do happen to own both and a couple more similar Samyang-Rokinons.
    First, these Samyang Fish-eyes are NOT traditional fish-eye lens. They are called by some stereographic fish-eyes. The 8mm APS-C and the 12mm FF models yield a much more wider view at the center and fill the frame respectively. They are not rectilinear UWA lenses per say. But can be defished to yield some nice wide images without distortion.

I usually crop the 8mm image to my liking for landscapes. But the 19mm Sigma is better suited. For a wider feel, the Samyang 14mm f/2.8 is very good on APS-C. A bit bulky.
    Samyang's 12mm f2 APS-C UWA is probably your best bet for a wider view than the 19mm Sigma.

Of the ones mentioned, I have the 8mm f3.5 Fish-eye, 12mm f2.8 Fish-eye, 14mm f2.8 UWA.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Lensify

Jun 7, 2016
    Ooh intresting! Thanks for this one!! Very nice. Didnt know about that. Thanks a lot!