Samyang 8mm Fisheye F2,8 II or Samyang 8mm F3,5 Fish-Eye CSII

Discussion in 'Sony Alpha E-Mount Lenses' started by FerreiraNex6, Feb 24, 2015.

1. FerreiraNex6

FerreiraNex6 New to TalkEmount

May 5, 2014
    Portugal
    Hi,

I want buy a fisheye lens (for a6000) and this two seem to be the best choices (price/quality), but don't know which one to buy! I read a lot of reviews from both lenses, all of them agree that both are great lens, but I can't find a comparative between the two.

I know the f3,5 is bigger and heavier, but, I think, this doesn't mean necessary that it's better!

Can anyone help me or give me an opinion!

Thanks

2. WNG

WNG TalkEmount All-Pro

Aug 12, 2014
    Arrid Zone-A, USA
    Will
    It's very late a response to your question, and I'll assume you've gotten your answer and made a decision on which one.

Since I had to go through the same choice last year, including whether to buy the ver. I of the 2.8, thought I'd add my experience here since there isn't much here about the 3.5 for NEX.

I decided on the 3.5, when B&H had a one day sale on the Rokinon version of the 8mm f3.5 for $199.
    Upon receiving it, I discovered why it's larger than the newer 2.8. The 3.5 is basically a full-frame model body, with a hollow extension tube at the rear.
    Similar to a E-mount adapter. Hence the added length.
    It's optimized to fill the entire APS-C sensor.
    Performance wise, it produces very good images as you already have researched.

If it wasn't for the significant cost savings, I would recommend the newer 2.8. 3 major reasons:
    1. the extra stop of speed for low light shooting.
    2. it's smaller because it is an APS-C E-mount lens from the design phase. The 3.5 feels like a larger adapted lens hanging off the body. And the front element is bulbously large.
    3. the rev. 2 has updated coatings and a design change that improves the rev. 1.

On a A7 chassis, the 3.5 probably isn't noticeable, but the NEX, its presence is felt and noticed. The permanent lens hood doesn't help either. It is the handling and shooting with it that is an issue for me.