• Welcome to TalkEmount.com, the best Sony E-mount camera and photography community on the web.
    Click here to join for free and enjoy unlimited photo uploads in our forums.

Samyang 35/2.8......... Big Value/Light Package

TedG954

Super Moderator
Real Name
Ted Gersdorf
The Sony 24-105/4 is almost a permanent fixture on my 7RII but decided to shake things up a little. I decided to take some shots with my new Samyang 35/2.8. I've already had very good results with the Rokinon 12/2 for APS-C.
7-21-20 Samyang 35   1.JPG
7-21-20 Samyang 35   2.JPG
7-21-20 Samyang 35   3.JPG
7-21-20 Samyang 35   4.JPG
7-21-20 Samyang 35   5.JPG
7-21-20 Samyang 35   6.JPG
7-21-20 Samyang 35   7.JPG
This full-frame lens is unbelievably light and small. That's why I bought it, but it's even lighter than I expected. For an inexpensive and very handy 35mm lens, I highly recommend this Samyang.​

Richard Crowe

TalkEmount Top Veteran
Looks like a great lens choice! I'd seriously consider it except that I have that focal length and f/stop covered with the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron which I dearly love...

saledolce

TalkEmount Regular
Looks like a great lens choice! I'd seriously consider it except that I have that focal length and f/stop covered with the 28-75mm f/2.8 Tamron which I dearly love...

....it's so cheap and small that you may still want to add it to your lens collection at some point...

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
^ this. The Sammy 35 is my go-to walkaround lens these days. Really lives into the promise of more compact rigs with mirrorless. Focuses fast and accurately for me, and I've gotten some REALLY sharp images out of it. I slightly prefer the OOF look of some of the Sigmas I am using/borrowing, but not enough to really bother me at all. This lens easily lets me grab the camera and bring it when I might otherwise not if I had a bigger lens parked on the body.

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
Some more examples of the value proposition with this lens.... not that we are really lacking. Also, I have been less than careful or gentle with mine, and it's holding up wonderfully. Hiking, mountain biking, skiing, etc., and often clipped to the shoulder strap of my pack - not tucked away in a padded case.
JDH09652.jpg
JDH00088.jpg
JDH00148.jpg
JDH03240.jpg
JDH03286.jpg
JDH09452.jpg
JDH09456.jpg

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I guess a pet peeve of mine is a thread like this one, discussing a lens but not showing a picture of the lens being discussed. I know I could google it, but it would be cool to actually see it, right here in the thread, on a camera, to help give a ref point as to how BIG it isn't, or how small it IS.
Know what I mean?
I'd like to be able to compare it to say my old Canon LTM 35mm for size. I know the Canon will sink the other lens weight wise as it's no fly weight itself, but size wise, I think it'd give the other a run for its money.

AlwaysOnAuto

TalkEmount Hall of Famer
I can see from those you posted Ted, that it's a nicely sized lens and if it's as lite weight AND auto focus that would be a bonus, IMO, too.
Thanks for the pics!

somnambulist_squirrel

TalkEmount Veteran
I haven't used the FE28, but I have never applied distortion correction to my pics from the Sammy 35. I can look back into my LR files and see if I had lens corrections enabled. But I really don't recall ever seeing any distortion that I have noticed in processing files from this lens. My Minolta Rokkor-X 28mm f2.8 definitely has some moderate distortion that I do occasionally correct, but the 35 always seems pretty spot on. Weight-wise, I feel like it would fail the Jared Polin blow test - weighs practically nothing. Comes with a great little padded case, too, that makes it easy to throw in a pocket if I want to run another lens but have the option with me. My FE 85 parked on the body and the Sammy in my pocket makes a great light kit to capture most things.

Mookalafalas

TalkEmount Regular
In the Lenstip review, they compare say this lens is optically better than the Zeiss, as well as being much cheaper... I have a copy and like it, but I ordered a 1.4, as I like shallow depth of field shooting. Looking at some of the pix above, however, I sort of regret my decision...

Latest posts

Top Bottom